About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering counseling fundamentals material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn counseling fundamentals. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the structure and history of group counseling
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning counseling (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about group counseling
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra counseling learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the group counseling chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the group counseling chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any group counseling question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a group counseling unit of a standard counseling fundamentals course. Topics covered include:
- Types of group counseling
- Theories on group counseling
- Issues and ethical considerations in group counseling
- Stages of the group experience
1. Group Counseling: Types, Structure & History
We all are involved in groups of some kind. In this lesson, you will learn about the purpose of counseling groups, their history, and the types of groups with which you might be working.
2. Group Counseling Theories
Group counseling theories vary according to the philosophy behind them. We will look at four of the most popular group counseling theories, and how they are alike and unalike in this lesson.
3. Issues and Ethics in Group Counseling
Imagine you are joining a therapy group. What would your concerns be? In this lesson, we will be discussing the ethics that must be followed in group counseling. Ethical guidelines protect group members and are the responsibility of the group leader.
4. The Stages of the Group Experience in Counseling
In this lesson, you will learn about the different stages of a typical counseling group, from obtaining a leader and screening members, to termination of the group and followup by the leader. Each stage has different experiences for group members.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Counseling 101: Help and Review course
- The History of Counseling and Psychotherapy: Help and Review
- The Professional Counselor: Help and Review
- The Counseling Process: Help and Review
- Theoretical Approaches in Counseling: Help and Review
- Ethical and Legal Issues in Counseling: Help and Review
- Human Growth and Development in Counseling: Help and Review
- School Counseling: Help and Review
- Career Counseling: Help and Review
- Help & Review for Substance Abuse, Mental Health & Rehabilitation Counseling
- Social and Cultural Elements of Counseling: Help and Review
- Marriage and Family Counseling: Help and Review