About This Chapter
Growth & Development in Adulthood - Chapter Summary
Utilizing the lessons in this chapter, review the changes that occur mentally and physically across the lifespan of adults. After completing this chapter, you will have delved into:
- Physical development and reproduction in early adulthood
- Postformal thought
- Impact of life choices on cognitive development
- Middle adulthood physical and cognitive changes
- Health, fitness, and sexual functioning in middle adulthood
- Cognitive development and health concerns in late adulthood
The lessons in this chapter have been specially formulated to help you easily interpret and retain the information. Each lesson contains a video to illustrate the material. If you'd like to review a particular portion of the lesson, you can utilize the timeline below the video to go directly to the spots you want to re-visit. Take a self-assessment quiz at the end of each lesson to test your retention. Track your progress through the chapter on your dashboard.
1. Physical Development and Health in Early Adulthood
Despite the fact that most people are fully grown by early adulthood, it is still a time of physical development. In this lesson, we'll explore the physical and health issues that people in early adulthood experience.
2. Reproduction in Early Adulthood
In their twenties and thirties, many people have children. However, it doesn't always go smoothly. In this lesson, we will explore sex and reproduction in early adulthood, including changes in sex drives and reproductive issues, like infertility.
3. Postformal Thought in Cognitive Development
How do people continue to develop in adulthood? Watch this lesson to discover how adults develop cognitively, including how they become postformal thinkers, and what relativistic thinking and dialectical reasoning involve.
4. Life Influences on Cognitive Development in Early Adulthood
Though adults don't physically grow as they age, they do still grow mentally. In this lesson, we'll look closer at cognitive development in adulthood, including how it is influenced by college and work experiences.
5. Physical Development in Middle Adulthood
Middle age comes with many new physical challenges, from wrinkles to hearing loss to weight gain. This lesson examines many of the signs of aging that are common in middle adulthood and how people can fight middle age weight gain.
6. Health and Fitness in Middle Adulthood
As people age, new health issues can arise. Watch this lesson to find out more about the two most common causes of death in middle age - cancer and cardiovascular disease - and how fitness and personality can combat them.
7. Sexual Functioning in Middle Adulthood
Sexuality is an important part of most adults' lives. But what happens when things change? In this lesson, we'll take a look at the changes regarding sex that often occur in middle age, including sexual dysfunction and changes in the frequency of sex.
8. Cognitive Development in Adults
As people age, they discover that their thought processes change. Though some cognitive abilities decrease in middle age, some increase. In this lesson, we'll look at how executive functioning and wisdom increase in middle age.
9. Major Mental Health Concerns in Late Adulthood
Everyone forgets things sometimes, but as people age, they often have trouble with memory and other cognitive processes. Watch this lesson to find out more about two types of thinking problems, frontotemporal and multi-infarct dementia.
10. Cognitive Development in Late Adulthood
Many people are aware of some of the memory problems older adults have, but did you know that they become better at some types of thinking? In this lesson, we'll examine the positive and negative cognitive changes in late life.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PLACE Health: Practice & Study Guide course
- Human Growth & Development
- Infant Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth & Development
- Adolescence Growth & Development
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Mendelian Genetics & Mechanisms of Heredity
- Health of the Aging Population
- Dying and Bereavement in Older Adults
- Understanding the Disease Process
- Pathogens & the Immune System
- Nutritional Health & Diet Planning
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Lipids in Nutrition
- Protein's Role in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals in Nutrition
- Symptoms of Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity
- How Vitamins Support Nutrition
- Eating Disorders & Treatments
- Weight Management & Energy Needs
- Understanding Dental Health
- Physical Fitness & Nutrition
- Effects of Sleep on Health
- Health & Wellness Basics
- Emotional and Mental Health
- Making Health Decisions
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Family Systems & Healthy Behavior
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Managing Family & Peer Relationships
- Sexuality & Health
- Media & Advertising of Health Information
- Community & Public Health
- Child Abuse & Abduction
- Sexual Harassment & Violence
- Environmental Risk Analysis
- Environmental Pollution & Health Concerns
- Personal Safety Precautions
- PLACE Health Flashcards