About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering Hamlet characters material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the key figures in this story. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing the characters from Hamlet
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual and auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Watch each video in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review by taking the Hamlet Character Analysis chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only the information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Hamlet Character Analysis chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about the characters found in Hamlet for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- Characterization and analysis of Hamlet and the ghost of King Hamlet
- Overview of the character traits and quotes of Ophelia, Claudius, Gertrude, Laertes, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern
- Relationship between Horatio and Hamlet
- Significance of the murder of Gonzago
1. Shakespeare's Hamlet: Character Analysis & Description
Hamlet is a tragedy written by William Shakespeare. It is a story about revenge and the growing pains of life. Learn more about the story of Hamlet and explore an analysis of his character before testing your knowledge with a quiz.
2. Characterization of Hamlet
If 'Madness in great ones must not unwatch'd go,' then you won't want to take your eyes off of this lesson! Keep reading to learn more about how Shakespeare's Hamlet offers characterization for this famously tragic prince.
3. Shakespeare's Ophelia: Character & Quotes
Ophelia is one of the most important characters in William Shakespeare's play ''Hamlet.'' Learn more about Ophelia's character, learn about some of her most famous quotations from the play, and test your knowledge with a quiz.
4. Shakespeare's Claudius: Character Analysis & Traits
Claudius is one of the central characters in William Shakespeare's ''Hamlet''. Because of Claudius' behavior, Hamlet is faced with the toughest dilemma of his life. Learn more about the character Claudius in this lesson.
5. The Ghost of King Hamlet: Character Analysis
In this lesson, we will explore the character of the Ghost of King Hamlet in William Shakespeare's ''Hamlet'' and how the ghost introduces the theme of revenge to the plot.
6. Shakespeare's Gertrude: Character Analysis & Traits
Although Gertrude is a central character in Shakespeare's Hamlet, she is enigmatic. As queen of Denmark and Hamlet's mother, she plays a pivotal role. Much of what we are told about her character is filtered through the biases of others.
7. Shakespeare's Horatio: Character Analysis & Relationship with Hamlet
In this lesson you will learn who Horatio is, and what his role is in relationship to Hamlet in Shakespeare's play, 'Hamlet.' Take a look at the character analysis, and the relationship between Horatio and Hamlet, and then test your knowledge with a quiz.
8. Laertes in Hamlet: Character Analysis & Revenge
Laertes is a minor character who plays a major role in William Shakespeare's play 'Hamlet.' He's a young man who feels responsible for protecting his family's name. Learn more about Laertes' character and test your knowledge with a quiz.
9. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern: Meaning, Quotes & Summary
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are two minor characters who play an important role in William Shakespeare's popular play 'Hamlet.' Learn more about the significance of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, and test your knowledge with a quiz.
10. The Murder of Gonzago: Significance in Hamlet & Overview
In William Shakespeare's ''Hamlet'', ''The Murder of Gonzago'' is a play Hamlet has performed in order to determine his uncle's innocence or guilt in the death of his father. This lesson will discuss the significance of this play within a play.
Hamlet Character List & Flashcards
Are you reading the Shakespearean classic, 'Hamlet'? This set of flashcards is designed to help you review the characters, learn how they are related to one another, and keep track of their roles in the unfolding tragedy.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.