About This Chapter
Hardware & Systems Technology Overview - Chapter Summary
If you're interested in improving your understanding of hardware and systems technology, you've reached the right place! This chapter ensures you know all about video cards, computer input devices, computer system units and more. After completing this chapter, you will be able to do the following:
- Define and list components of computer hardware
- Describe the function and components of a computer system unit
- Explain how to safely start up and shut down computers
- Outline the parts and functions of computer system components
- Provide the definition of a video card
- Give descriptions of computer input devices like keyboards and mice
- Discuss computer output devices like speakers and printers
This chapter is completely flexible, allowing you to navigate lessons in your sequence of choice and visit as often as you'd like. You also have the freedom to choose your lesson format: entertaining videos, full transcripts or both. Before, during or after reviewing lessons, don't hesitate to take multiple-choice quizzes to check your comprehension of key concepts. Around-the-clock mobile access lets you study whenever and wherever you desire via your smartphone or tablet of choice.
1. What is Computer Hardware? - Components, Definition & Examples
Computer hardware is the collection of physical parts of a computer system. This includes the computer case, monitor, keyboard, and mouse. It also includes all the parts inside the computer case, such as the hard disk drive, motherboard, video card, and many others. Computer hardware is what you can physically touch.
2. What is a Computer System Unit? - Function, Components & Definition
A computer system unit is the enclosure that contains the main components of a computer. It is also referred to as a computer case or tower. Read on to learn about the functions and components that go into a computer system unit.
3. How to Safely Start Up & Shut Down Computers
Learn how to start up and shut down a computer, and the precautions you can take to avoid losing data. Discover the steps that computers themselves follow during start up and shut down.
4. Computer System Components: Computer Parts & Functions
Are you ready to buy a computer? Let's take a trip through the components of a computer for some advice. We'll learn about the motherboard, memory, storage, connectivity and peripherals.
5. What Is a Video Card? - Function, Definition & Types
A video card is used to process images so they can be displayed on your monitor. A good video card can make a big difference in the quality of your graphics, so this is particularly important if you play games or work with photography and video.
6. Computer Input Devices: Keyboards, Mice, Audio & Video
What input devices do you use on a daily basis? We'll take a look at the common keyboard and mouse devices as well as other methods of input like audio and video.
7. Computer Output Devices: Monitors, Speakers, & Printers
So you've entered information into your computer. How do you get it back out? Here's a look at output devices such as monitors, speakers, printers and eBooks.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the IAAP CAP Exam Study Guide - Certified Administrative Professional course
- Computer & Peripheral Device Troubleshooting
- Systems Software & Management
- Using Software & Media to Communicate
- Introduction to Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Word Features
- Creating Worksheets & Workbooks in Excel
- Formatting Worksheets & Workbooks in Excel
- Format & Modify Text with Functions in Excel
- Introduction to the PowerPoint Tool Bar
- Create and Manage Presentations in PowerPoint
- PowerPoint Best Practices
- Design of Technical & Business Documents
- Working with Technical Reports
- Managing Physical Resources in Business
- Office Design & Ergonomics
- Business Records Management
- Database Management & Security
- Framework for Business Communication
- Running Effective Business Meetings
- Group Communication Skills in the Workplace
- Business Messaging Fundamentals
- Communicating Electronically
- Effective Messaging for Workplace Communication
- Elements of Punctuation & Grammar
- Sentence Types & Components
- Planning & Managing Events
- Human Resource Management Basics
- HR in a Global Business Environment
- Employee Recruitment & Selection
- Compensation Methods
- Employee Training & Professional Development
- Employer Compliance & Regulations
- Accounting Basics Overview
- Financial Statements in Accounting
- Financial Statement Analysis in Accounting
- Effective Management & Leadership
- Managerial & Interpersonal Communication
- Understanding Diversity while Communicating
- Business Networking Basics
- IAAP CAP Exam Study Guide - Certified Administrative Professional Flashcards