About This Chapter
Health Advocacy & Information Resources- Chapter Summary
The lessons organized in this chapter have been put together to help you learn all about advocating for health and the resources that can assist your understanding of the health field. Video lessons will concentrate on:
- Environmental health
- The threats to environmental health
- Different types of health care
- Relationship between economics and health
- The impact of socioeconomic issues on health
- Health information sources
- Health problems in the U.S.
- How the federal government impacts public health
- Scientific theory
When you study with us, you will have access to our video instructors who are expert on the information you will be studying. They will present the lesson's material to you in a way that is educational and fun. As you work your way through each lesson and watch the videos, read the transcripts and take the self-assessing quizzes; you will have support the whole time. If you get stuck on a certain concept or lesson, our instructors are here to support you by answering any questions you might have.
1. What Is Environmental Health? Definition, Types & Sources
In this video lesson, you will learn about environmental health. You will also learn about threats to environmental health and how to distinguish between different categories of environmental hazards.
2. Understanding & Assessing Threats to Environmental Health
In this lesson you will learn how threats to environmental health are assessed. You will also learn how management decisions are made based on such threats and their risks.
3. Types of Health Care: HMOs, PPOs, Socialized Medicine & Direct-Fee System
In this lesson, we discuss health care as a social institution and how health care systems differ worldwide. We also discuss several different ways that health care is paid for by patients, organizations and government.
4. Economics and Health: Healthcare, Medical Issues & Income
What is the relationship between economy and health? In this lesson, we discuss differences in healthcare and medical issues in low-income versus high-income countries. We also define social epidemiology and discuss the link between poverty and poor health.
5. How Socioeconomic Issues Affect Health and Chronic Conditions
This lessons examines some of the fundamental differences of socioeconomic status, as well as how these issues interact with a person's health and their chronic conditions.
6. Sources of Health Information: Overview & Reliability
The Internet is full of information and misinformation. This lesson will teach you how to identify the major sources of health information and determine if they are truly credible.
7. Major Health Problems in the United States
Ever wonder what the most common health-related problems are in the United States? You're about to find out what they are and how some of them are related.
8. The Federal Government's Role in Public Health Information
Have you ever wondered where you can get accurate and readily-digestible information about your health, drug recalls, or the spread of the flu during winter? Well, many federal government agencies, such as the CDC, FDA and NIH, are responsible for this.
9. What is the Scientific Theory? - Definition, Characteristics & Example
In this lesson, you'll learn the definition and characteristics of a scientific theory and understand how theories are formulated. You'll see examples of scientific theories, and after the lesson you can test your knowledge with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Health (043): Practice & Study Guide course
- Overview of the Human Body
- Understanding Emotional & Mental Health
- Factors Affecting Social Health
- Psychosocial Health for Personal Wellness
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Family & Peer Relationships
- Nutrition's Role in Health
- Diseases & the Immune System
- Understanding Health Care
- Consumer Awareness of Health Care
- Media & Advertising in Health Information
- Promoting Healthy Lifestyles
- Promoting Healthy Lifestyles: Exercise & Your Body
- Promoting Healthy Lifestyles: Stress Management
- Intentional Violence and Injury
- Communication Processes & Skills
- Learning Assessments
- The Government's Role in Public Education
- Health Education Strategies
- Planning & Implementing Health Education Programs
- Health Education Programs
- Evaluating Health Education Programs
- MTTC Health Flashcards