About This Chapter
Health and Wellness Fundamentals - Chapter Summary
Before you become an expert in any topic, you need to learn the basics, and this chapter has been designed to teach you the fundamental principles associated with health and wellness. Of course, learning the basics of any topic covers a wide range of information, which is why our instructors have taken the time to divide this chapter up into short, easy-to-digest lessons. Each lesson covers information about one main topic within this chapter.
The lessons are clearly labeled, so you know instantly what information will be reviewed. You can see all the available lessons from the chapter menu. Every lesson is self-contained, so you will have everything you need to understand a topic. Be advised that you will gain a deeper understanding of this chapter if you look over all the lessons. At the end of the chapter, you should possess the ability to:
- Evaluate the dimensions and definition of health and wellness
- Figure out significant U.S. health problems
- Inspect influences of demographics on global health perspectives
- Connect lifestyle choices, behaviors, and decisions to personal wellness
- Name reliable health information sources
- Describe how the locus of control relates to wellness
- Identify behavioral change strategies and risky behaviors
- Analyze steps for building a behavior management plan
1. Health & Wellness: Definition and Dimensions
It's important to be happy and healthy! This lesson will contrast between health and wellness as well as what the different dimension of wellness are and how they interact.
2. Major Health Problems in the United States
Ever wonder what the most common health-related problems are in the United States? You're about to find out what they are and how some of them are related.
3. The Role of Demographics on Health: Global Perspective & Influences
This lesson will explain to you the many different factors that influence the likelihood or possibility of developing health related problems. Namely, we'll talk about the environment, the world at large, and things like income, gender, and ethnic background.
4. Lifestyle Choices and Personal Wellness: Decisions, Behavior & Prevention
What are lifestyle choices? What are acute and chronic problems? Which U.S. agencies are important for disease prevention? You'll find out about this and more in this lesson!
5. Sources of Health Information: Overview & Reliability
The Internet is full of information and misinformation. This lesson will teach you how to identify the major sources of health information and determine if they are truly credible.
6. Locus of Control: Definition & Relation to Wellness
Are you an internally or externally focused person? What does that really all mean? How does it affect your view of the world and your potential successes and failures? This and more will be discussed in this lesson.
7. Risk Behavior and Strategies for Behavioral Change: Focus, Impact & Change
This lesson will discuss the short and long-term consequences of several different risk behaviors. We'll also go into some simple but effective strategies you can use to help avoid or stop these behaviors.
8. Creating a Behavior Management Plan: Steps & Behavioral Changes
This lesson will outline the steps you need to take if you'd like to make a positive, health-related change in your life. You'll learn about keeping a journal and how to set SMART goals for yourself.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 101: Principles of Health course
- Psychosocial Disorders & Mental Health
- Stress Risks & Disorders
- Drugs & Addictive Behavior
- Impact of Alcohol & Tobacco on Health
- Substance Use Risks & Disorders
- Healthy Platonic & Sexual Relationships
- Understanding Nutrition in Health
- Fitness & Weight in Personal Health
- Personal Health for Aging Populations
- Understanding Death & Bereavement
- Heart, Lung & Endocrine System Health
- Understanding Cancer Risks & Treatment
- Immune Disorders & Infections
- Understanding Diabetes & Genetic Disorders
- Environmental Health Basics
- Pollution & Environmental Issues
- Violence, Injury & Personal Safety
- Making Smart Health Care Choices
- Studying for Health 101