About This Chapter
Health Care Costs & Financing - Chapter Summary
This helpful chapter outlines health care financing and costs, including an overview of U.S. healthcare spending and the trends and demands of the pharmaceutical industry. Additional topics include the impact and costs of the U.S. health care system and health care financing in the United States. You can access these lessons 24 hours a day on your mobile device or computer to study at your convenience. Each lesson is followed by a short quiz that tests your understanding before moving on to other topics. Once you complete this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Describe key provisions of the Affordable Care and Patient Protection Act
- Outline the different types of health insurance
- Differentiate between individual and group insurance
- Detail the functions of Medicaid and Medicare
- Identify the problems and costs associated with Medicare and Medicaid
- Provide examples of specialty insurance programs
- Discuss the insurance reimbursement methods used in health care
1. U.S. Healthcare Spending: Overview & Types
The United States spends trillions of dollars on healthcare each year. This lesson provides an overview of national spending on healthcare and discusses factors contributing to healthcare spending growth.
2. Pharmaceutical Industry Trends: Demands & Costs
The pharmaceutical industry is constantly changing. This lesson will discuss some of the current trends in pharmaceuticals, focusing on the trends relating to the demand and cost of medications.
3. U.S. Health Care System: Costs, Coverage & Impact
In this lesson, we will critically examine the U.S. health care system regarding issues of cost and coverage. We'll discuss current methods of containing health care costs and identify future directions in cost containment.
4. Health Care Financing in the United States
Both private and public insurance programs provide Americans with healthcare options, but require significant financial support and backing. Read this lesson to learn about the healthcare system, cost of coverage, and different means of financing the American healthcare system.
5. The Affordable Care & Patient Protection Act: Key Provisions
In this lesson, you'll learn about the Affordable Care Act and how it impacts individuals with and without health insurance. You'll also learn what benefits it provides to those with health insurance.
6. Health Insurance: Types & Concept
Did you know that there are an estimated 1 billion health insurance claims filed each year? Learn more about the different types of health insurance that are available in the United States.
7. Group & Individual Insurance: Comparison Pros & Cons
After reading this lesson, you will know how individual and group insurances are different. You will know the pros and cons of each. You can then choose the one that works best for you.
8. Medicare and Medicaid: Definitions & Functions
This lesson will teach and define what Medicare and Medicaid are, what they are for, what they provide, and for whom they were established for. We'll also cover the four main parts of Medicare.
9. Costs and Problems of Medicare and Medicaid
In this lesson, you will tackle the question of why Medicare and Medicaid programs can be expensive and what solutions have been proposed to address this. We will consider the benefits provided by these services and the costs involved.
10. Specialty Insurance Programs: Overview & Examples
In this lesson, we'll navigate the world of specialty insurance programs. This lesson will cover Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Worker's Compensation benefits, Mental Health Benefits, government and military insurance, and Long-Term Care Insurance.
11. Insurance Reimbursement Methods in Health Care
This lesson launches us into the world of provider reimbursements from insurance carriers. We'll explore factors that may affect payments as well as the reimbursement methods physician practices and healthcare organizations use today.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 307: Healthcare Delivery Systems course
- Connecting Health with Health Care Delivery
- Overview of the Health Care System
- Systems for Health Care Delivery
- Health Care Delivery Professionals
- Health Care Delivery Technology
- Health Care System Access
- Health Care Systems: Quality & Ethics
- Health Care System Policy & Practice
- Health Care Delivery Systems: Future Considerations
- Required Assignments for Health 307