About This Chapter
Health Care Delivery Systems - Chapter Summary
This chapter will help you see how different healthcare systems are organized around the world. In some countries, patients pay for healthcare, in others, organizations such as businesses foot the bill while in yet others the government is responsible for paying. You will find out about healthcare system structures, including HMOs, PPOs, socialized medicine, and the direct-free system. You'll learn how health insurance works and what role it plays in health care costs.
As you continue in the chapter, you'll find out about the Affordable Health Care Act in the United States, and its major provisions. You'll see how this act influences various healthcare systems. Finally, you'll look at the combination of attitudes, awareness and prevention impacting the health of older adults. After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe the various systems of healthcare utilized worldwide
- Explain the different ways healthcare is paid for
- Discuss different healthcare system structures
- Describe health insurance regulations
- Define the Affordable Health Care Act
- Assess how the health of older adults can be affected by attitude and behavior
Fun and engaging video lessons will present this content to you, and you can use the self-assessment quizzes to test your knowledge of the material and the lesson transcripts for an alternative study method. You'll learn the important key terms you need to remember. You'll find a jump feature in the timeline to take you directly to the location in a video you wish to review. All these materials are designed and developed by experts in the field.
1. Types of Health Care: HMOs, PPOs, Socialized Medicine & Direct-Fee System
In this lesson, we discuss health care as a social institution and how health care systems differ worldwide. We also discuss several different ways that health care is paid for by patients, organizations and government.
2. Health Insurance and Health Care: Overview, Roles & Regulations
This lesson will explain the major aspects of health insurance and its role in your health care costs. We will discuss premiums, deductibles, coinsurance, copays, and more!
3. Affordable Health Care Act: Description, Overview & Relevance to HR Management
One of the newest federal laws facing employers today is the Affordable Care Act. In this lesson, you'll be provided an overview of the Affordable Care Act and its relevance to human resource management. A short quiz follows.
4. Health Care: Awareness, Attitudes, & Prevention
During late life, health issues can become both more common and more serious. But health can be impacted by a person's attitudes and behaviors. In this lesson, we'll explore how prevention and attitude can play a role in older people's health.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Health Education (211): Test Practice and Study Guide course
- Overview of the Human Body
- Human Development
- Childhood Growth and Development
- Adolescent Growth and Development
- Adult Growth and Development
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Lipids in Nutrition
- Protein in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals in Health & Nutrition
- Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity in the Body
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Principles of Nutritional Health
- Substance Use, Abuse and Dependence
- Emotional and Mental Health
- Safety and Injury Prevention Strategies
- Physical Fitness Benefits
- Human Sexuality
- Family and Social Systems
- Dealing with Negative Social Behavior
- Public Health Emphasis
- Health Risk Factors
- Health Information Resources
- Media & Advertising in Health Information
- Medical Emergency Care
- Health Education Programs
- Planning & Implementing Health Education Programs
- Evaluating Health Education Programs
- ILTS Health Education Flashcards