About This Chapter
Health Care Education & Career Guidance - Chapter Summary
The instructors of this chapter have designed these lessons to provide you with the most relevant and useful information regarding health care education expectations and the process of obtaining careers in this field. Some of this information includes career exploration through job shadowing and information interviews, and the chapter discusses professionalism in the workplace. Additionally, you can learn how to:
- Increase your chances of gaining employment from your internship
- Assess different types of careers and their potential benefits
- Set achievable career goals upon graduation
- Identify professional resources for those who are studying in the medical field
- Navigate the process of career advancement
Once you've studied the principles illustrated in each lesson, utilize the brief quizzes to gauge your understanding and retention. Upon finishing the chapter, take the more thorough chapter exam to test your knowledge of multiple concepts covered throughout the chapter. In addition to these assessment tools, you can also print out the quiz worksheets and transcripts for video lessons to continue studying offline. Should any questions arise, instructors are always available via e-mail.
1. Informational Interviews and Job Shadowing: Learning About Careers
Exploring career options can be complicated. How can you really know what a career is like? In this lesson, we'll examine two ways to get the skinny on different careers: informational interviews and job shadowing.
2. How to Maximize Your Internship's Career Potential
An internship is a great opportunity to get experience in a career field. But how can you make the most of your time as an intern? In this lesson, we'll offer tips for maximizing your internship in the areas of learning, relationships and performance.
3. Career Assessments: Types & Benefits
There are many career choices out there. How do you decide which one is right for you? In this lesson, we'll examine the different types of career assessments and how they can help you choose the best career.
4. How to Set Realistic Career Goals After Graduation
Everyone has a dream job, but most people won't get it right out of college. This lesson and quiz will look at how to set realistic career goals that will help you advance towards your dream job.
5. How to Advance in Your Career: Process & Expectations
How do you get a promotion or move to a better job? Watch this lesson for tips and tricks to advance in your career, including how to set goals and be proactive when it comes to career success.
6. Professionalism in the Workplace: Definition & Maintenance
Being a true professional is a valuable and rewarding attribute. Use the keys in this lesson to learn how to increase your professionalism, maintain your dignity, and demonstrate your commitment.
7. Professional Resources for Studying Medicine
Medical school can be overwhelming, time consuming and hard to navigate. Read on to learn more about available resources that will help you in your studies.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Health Science for Teachers: Help & Review course
- Health Care History, Trends & Impact
- Math Applications in Health Care Science
- Physical Sciences in Health Care
- Basics of Health Science Research
- Medical Abbreviations, Acronyms & Symbols
- Formation of Medical Terms
- Basic Anatomy & Physiology
- Homeostasis & the Human Body
- Digestive & Excretory Systems of the Human Body
- The Skeletal System & Connective Tissue
- Human Nervous, Circulatory & Respiratory Systems
- Biological Development in Psychology
- Microbiology in Health Science
- Pathogens & Disease
- Disease Causes, Control & Prevention
- Public & World Health Issues
- Aging, Health & Family Issues in Society
- Nutritional Information & Needs
- Issues & Disorders Related to Nutrition
- Therapeutic Concepts of Nutrition
- Pharmacological Concepts & Technology
- Mental Health Concepts
- Preventative Health & Wellness
- Medical Technology & Patient Care
- Health Care Safety Policies & Procedures
- Communication in Health Care
- Teamwork in the Workplace
- Health Care Legal & Ethical Responsibilities