About This Chapter
Health Care System Policy & Practice - Chapter Summary
In this informative chapter, our instructors explain health care system policy and practice. Topics covered include the differences between U.S. health policies and international health policies, U.S. health policy on local, state and national levels and the effect research has on health policy development. Each lesson comes with a short, multiple-choice quiz, giving you a chance to test your knowledge before moving on. Work at your own pace, and feel free to go back to review any areas where you need additional study. After completing this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Detail the role interest groups play in public health policy
- Outline the policies associated with U.S. health care reform
- Understand how health policy is developed and implemented
- Identify the models in evidence-based practice
- Discuss evidence-based practice as it applies to health professionals
- Describe the advantages and disadvantages of evidence-based practice
- Explain how community health is affected by health policy
1. International Health Policies vs. U.S. Health Policies
In this lesson, we'll compare and contrast the national health policies of the U.S. and two other advanced industrialized countries: Canada and Germany.
2. U.S. Health Policy: National, State & Local
Health policy in the United States is in a state of transition. This lesson will review the Obama administration's Affordable Care Act and explore policies at national, state, and local levels, as well as key players, and how policy turns into practice.
3. How Research Affects Health Policy Development
In this lesson you'll learn how research affects health policy development. We'll examine challenges scientists face in communicating their research as well as briefly touch on scientific studies.
4. The Role of Interest Groups in Public Health Policy
You have probably heard that interest groups play a role in influencing national, state, and community level policy. Health policy is no exception, and this lesson gives you an overview of how interest groups influence health policy.
5. U.S. Health Care Reform: Definition & Policies
In this lesson, you will learn important definitions and policies that are currently driving healthcare reform. This is a hot topic that spans many spheres of government and the private sector, and is especially important for those looking for healthcare coverage. Let the journey begin!
6. Developing & Implementing Health Policy
Health policy lays the foundation for care of patients in the US. This lesson uncovers the methods for developing and implementing health policies as well as examples of the process and finished product.
7. Evidence-Based Practice: Models & Hierarchy
In this lesson, we'll define what evidence-based practice is, then look at how evidence-based practice models and hierarchies are used to help healthcare team members determine the best patient care and treatment plans.
8. Evidence-Based Practice for Health Professionals
Healthcare professionals treat their patients in the best way they know how. In this lesson, you will learn how evidence-based practice helps achieve that goal.
9. Evidence-Based Practice: Advantages & Disadvantages
In this lesson, we'll define evidence-based practice. We'll also discuss the advantages and disadvantages of evidence-based practice as a method of caring for people.
10. How Health Policy Affects Community Health
Do we really need the government telling us what to do when it comes to our health? Why or why not? The answer may surprise you as we'll go over how health policy affect community health in more than one way.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 307: Healthcare Delivery Systems course
- Connecting Health with Health Care Delivery
- Overview of the Health Care System
- Systems for Health Care Delivery
- Health Care Delivery Professionals
- Health Care Delivery Technology
- Health Care System Access
- Health Care Systems: Quality & Ethics
- Health Care Costs & Financing
- Health Care Delivery Systems: Future Considerations
- Required Assignments for Health 307