About This Chapter
Health Care Systems: Quality & Ethics - Chapter Summary
Our helpful chapter covers quality and ethics in health care systems in an engaging, user-friendly way. Brief lessons cover topics including the efficiency and quality of healthcare in the United States as well as drivers of healthcare quality systems. We've designed these lessons so you can access them 24 hours a day on your mobile device or computer to study at your convenience. As a great way to test your knowledge, take the quiz you'll find with each lesson. After completing this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Outline models for healthcare systems quality
- Detail quality management in healthcare
- Define JCAHO and discuss requirements
- Explain the components of healthcare service excellence
- Discuss the requirements for licensing and certification in nursing homes
- Provide a definition for medical rights and obligations
- Identify the ethical issues in psychology and medicine
- Understand the importance of confidentiality, informed consent and truth telling in medicine
1. Healthcare Quality & Efficiency in the U.S.
Quality and efficiency are critical aspects of successful healthcare delivery. Complete this lesson to learn more about the healthcare economics of the United States and how the U.S. compares to other countries around the world.
2. Healthcare Quality Systems: Drivers & Examples
Quality in healthcare systems is driving the present and future of healthcare, improvements in healthcare, and cost of services delivered. This lesson gives a snapshot of drivers and examples in healthcare quality systems.
3. Healthcare Systems Quality Models
Models of quality provide a framework for improving patient care. This lesson will describe a few models being used across the country to assist the quality team.
4. Quality Management in Healthcare
In today's transparent world, healthcare organizations are expected to focus on the quality of the service they provide for patients. This lesson reviews some of the measures of healthcare quality and ways it is managed, monitored, and assessed.
5. What Is JCAHO? - Definition, Accreditation Standards & Requirements
In this lesson you will learn the definition of JCAHO as well as the definitions of the terms accreditation and standards as they apply to healthcare organizations. We will look at examples of standards and requirements used in accreditation.
6. Licensing & Certification Requirements in Nursing Homes
This lesson describes the care provided in nursing home facilities and the licenses and certifications required for both the facility and the workers providing patient care.
7. Healthcare Service Excellence: Definition & Components
This lesson describes what service excellence is in the healthcare industry. We will focus on the principle concepts of service excellence as well as provide some practical tips on how healthcare administrators can create a culture of excellence.
8. Medical Rights & Obligations: Definitions & Views
The medical world comes with some difficult ethical issues. Doctors need to be able to do their jobs, but patients should feel safe. In this lesson, explore several perspectives of medical ethics, and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
9. Ethical Issues in Medicine & Psychology
The world of healthcare is full of ethical issues, and they can be difficult to figure out. In this lesson, explore four major ethical issues, and then test your understanding with a brief quiz.
10. Importance of Truth Telling, Confidentiality & Informed Consent in Medicine
The medical profession is full of important ethical issues. In this lesson, explore three major ethical concerns and discover how they relate to medicine. Then test your understanding with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 307: Healthcare Delivery Systems course
- Connecting Health with Health Care Delivery
- Overview of the Health Care System
- Systems for Health Care Delivery
- Health Care Delivery Professionals
- Health Care Delivery Technology
- Health Care System Access
- Health Care System Policy & Practice
- Health Care Costs & Financing
- Health Care Delivery Systems: Future Considerations
- Required Assignments for Health 307