About This Chapter
Health Care Systems - Chapter Summary
The video lessons in this chapter look at systems of health care and how costs are handled through insurance and patients, while providing an overview of the Affordable Care Act. Look at how other countries manage health care costs. Finally, examine the relationship between health care awareness and the health of older adults. After completing these lessons, you'll be prepared to:
- Define the health promotion model and how it works
- Report on three kinds of disease prevention strategies
- Understand the role of HMOs, PPOs, POS, HSAs, Medicaid and Medicare in the health care system
- Look at how health insurance works
- State how the Affordable Care Act is relevant to health systems
- Look at the role of preventative measures and attitude in the health of older adults
These brief, engaging video lessons include written transcripts that have key terms and phrases highlighted. The quizzes at the end of the lessons allow you to test your knowledge, and, if you need more help, you can contact the instructor. A chapter exam is available to help you solidify your understanding of this topic.
1. What Is the Health Promotion Model? - Definition & Theory
In this lesson, you will learn about the health promotion model and its influences on health behaviors. You will also gain an understanding of the theory behind the health promotion model and how that theory affects health promotion outcomes.
2. Health Behaviors and Promotion: Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, we will discuss health promotion, health behavior, and the three different kinds of disease prevention strategies you can employ to stay healthy for as long as possible.
3. The U.S. Health Care System: Description, Structure, Cost, Quality & Access
This lesson will explore the issues associated with the costs and quality of health care access, as well as what HMOs, PPOs, POS, HSAs, Medicare, and Medicaid are.
4. Types of Health Care: HMOs, PPOs, Socialized Medicine & Direct-Fee System
In this lesson, we discuss health care as a social institution and how health care systems differ worldwide. We also discuss several different ways that health care is paid for by patients, organizations and government.
5. Health Insurance and Health Care: Overview, Roles & Regulations
This lesson will explain the major aspects of health insurance and its role in your health care costs. We will discuss premiums, deductibles, coinsurance, copays, and more!
6. Affordable Health Care Act: Description, Overview & Relevance to HR Management
One of the newest federal laws facing employers today is the Affordable Care Act. In this lesson, you'll be provided an overview of the Affordable Care Act and its relevance to human resource management. A short quiz follows.
7. Health Care: Awareness, Attitudes, & Prevention
During late life, health issues can become both more common and more serious. But health can be impacted by a person's attitudes and behaviors. In this lesson, we'll explore how prevention and attitude can play a role in older people's health.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Health Education (073): Practice and Study Guide course
- Human Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth & Development
- Adolescence Growth & Development
- Adult Growth & Development
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Introduction to Health & Wellness
- Introduction to Disease & Illness
- Mental Distress, Depression & Suicide
- Basic Principles of Nutrition
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Lipids in Nutrition
- Protein in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals & Nutrition
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Eating Disorders & Treatments
- Benefits of Physical Fitness
- Health Risk Education
- Injury Prevention Strategies
- Substance Use & Abuse
- Human Sexuality & Health
- Communication Processes & Skills
- Family & Social Systems
- Discrimination, Aggression & Conflict
- Media & Advertising of Health Information
- Resources for Health Information
- Overview of Health Education Programs
- NYSTCE Health Education Flashcards