About This Chapter
Health & Fitness in Children - Chapter Summary
If you're looking for an in-depth exploration of health and fitness in children, you have reached the right place. This chapter offers entertaining lessons that explore a wide variety of health and fitness concepts. Expert instructors examine major health problems found in the United States and among children. Lessons also look at risk behaviors, exercise programs, lifestyle choices and personal wellness.
Feel confident that you understand mental health, stress, the importance of physical fitness and other health and fitness concepts associated with children. Once you've completed this chapter, you will be prepared for the following:
- Describing the basic structures and functions of the human body
- Defining nutrition and physical fitness
- Explaining the decisions behind lifestyle choices and personal wellness
- Sharing the impact of risk behavior and strategies for behavioral change
- Discussing gross and fine motor skills in children
- Identifying children's health risks and explaining the benefits of regular physical activity
- Listing components of exercise programs
This chapter is filled with resources you can use to enhance your understanding of health and fitness in children. In addition to reviewing the lessons, feel free to submit any questions about lesson topics to our experts. When ready, test your knowledge by taking the self-assessment quiz that accompanies each lesson. A practice exam is also available to reinforce concepts covered in this chapter.
1. Basic Structures & Functions of the Human Body
The human body is a complex system with structures ranging from cells to organ systems and functions ranging from waste removal to protection and defense. The structures and functions are dedicated to maintaining a state of health in the body.
2. Major Health Problems in the United States
Ever wonder what the most common health-related problems are in the United States? You're about to find out what they are and how some of them are related.
3. Major Health Issues Concerning Children
Childhood should be a time of growing and learning, but unfortunately, there are some very serious health issues that affect children. In this lesson, we will learn about the health issues affecting the children of the world.
4. Major Risks to Children's Health
This lesson will examine the major risks to children's health. We will also discuss some ways that these deaths could be prevented and will end with a quiz to test your knowledge.
5. What is Nutrition?
Nutrition is the process of taking in nutrients from the foods you eat. Learn about the six nutrients needed for energy, maintenance of tissues and regulation of bodily processes: carbohydrates, fats, proteins, water, vitamins and minerals.
6. Lifestyle Choices and Personal Wellness: Decisions, Behavior & Prevention
What are lifestyle choices? What are acute and chronic problems? Which U.S. agencies are important for disease prevention? You'll find out about this and more in this lesson!
7. Risk Behavior and Strategies for Behavioral Change: Focus, Impact & Change
This lesson will discuss the short and long-term consequences of several different risk behaviors. We'll also go into some simple but effective strategies you can use to help avoid or stop these behaviors.
8. What Are Gross Motor Skills in Children? - Development, Definition & Examples
Gross motor skills allow children to control those body movements that require the use of large muscles in the legs, arms, and torso. Learn more about gross motor skills from examples and test your knowledge with a quiz.
9. What Are Fine Motor Skills in Children? - Development, Definition & Examples
Think of toddlers at a daycare, or the young actors in the movie 'The Kindergarten Cop.' What comes to mind? Is it small children doing arts and crafts or possibly running around with scissors? These are examples of fine motor skills, which children should develop around this age.
10. What is Physical Fitness? - Definition & Importance
Physical fitness is your ability to carry out tasks without undue fatigue. Learn about the components of physical fitness: cardiorespiratory endurance, muscle strength, muscle endurance, flexibility and body composition and why they are important.
11. The Benefits of Regular Physical Activity: Mental Health, Stress & Life Span
The mind and body can greatly benefit from even 30 minutes of exercise a day. Find out exactly what impact regular exercise can have on your mind, body, and lifespan in this video lesson.
12. Components of Exercise Programs: Aerobics, Strength Training & Stretching
Ever wonder what stretching, strength training, and aerobic exercises are? You'll learn about them in this lesson. You'll also find out what some basic recommendations are for each type of exercise.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Elementary Education Subtest 2 (103): Practice & Study Guide course
- Numeration, Number Sense, & Mathematical Operations
- Prime Numbers, Composite Numbers & Divisibility Rules
- The Least Common Multiple & Greatest Common Factor
- Place Values, Ordering Fractions & Decimals
- Rounding & Estimating Numbers
- Arithmetic & Estimation Using Decimals
- Mixed Numbers & Fractions
- Solving & Graphing Rational Numbers
- Rates, Ratios & Proportions
- Scientific Notation Math
- Strategies for Math Word Problems
- Tools for Representing Mathematical Concepts
- Calculating & Interpreting Statistical Data
- Algebraic Patterns, Equations & Functions
- Equalities & Inequalities
- Properties of Geometric Shapes
- Converting & Graphing Units of Measurement
- Area, Perimeter, Surface Area & Volume
- Life & Zoological Sciences
- Plants, Biomes & Genetics
- Taxonomy & Evolution
- Physical, Earth & Space Sciences
- Components of the Solar System & Universe
- Weather, Climate & Geologic Systems
- Scientific Method, Inquiry & Data Analysis
- Music, Drama, Theater & the Arts
- NES Elementary Education Subtest 2 Flashcards