About This Chapter
Health for Elementary School - Chapter Summary
If you are a parent or teacher who would like to help your elementary school-aged children learn important facts related to their health, it's a good idea to have a fun and convenient study guide to go over basic topics in-depth. This chapter contains several concise and informative text lessons that provide overviews of different health-related topics at an elementary school-level. Each lesson is dedicated to a specific topic, presenting all information in a concise and age-appropriate manner. Once your children have finished each lesson, you can have them answer the questions in each lesson's practice quiz to see how much they remember on that particular topic. The final chapter exam will allow you to assess their understanding of the major points from the chapter as a whole.
Who It's For
Kids who need extra help with health will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There's no faster or easier way to learn about health topics.
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding major health issues
- Students who have learning disabilities or need a little extra help learning about health topics
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning health (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient and convenient way to learn about their health
- Students who struggle to understand their health teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra health resources
How It Works
- Find lessons in the chapter that cover health your student needs to learn or review.
- Press play to watch the video lesson with your student or read through the text lesson.
- Review the lesson or video transcripts, emphasizing the highlighted vocab words to reinforce learning about important health issues.
- Test your student's understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify your student understands the basics of human health by completing the Health for Elementary School chapter exam.
1. Personal Hygiene Lesson for Kids: Facts & Tips
Wash your hands. Brush your teeth. Wear clean clothes. These aren't just instructions from your parents to give you a hard time; they're actually important ways to maintain your personal hygiene. Let's get ready to learn all about personal hygiene.
2. Dental Hygiene Lesson for Kids: Facts & Tips
Who doesn't love having a smile that they are proud to wear? Well, dental hygiene is a big part of that! Come and learn why dental hygiene is important, as well as some dental hygiene tips.
3. Hand Hygiene Lesson for Kids
Do your parents nag you to wash your hands? Sometimes, it can seem like adults overreact when it comes to handwashing. But if you want to stay healthy and protect those around you, washing your hands is very important!
4. First Aid Lesson for Kids: Facts, Tips & Safety
Think about the last time you scraped yourself. Did you know what to do? Were you confident in your abilities? Read the following lesson to refresh your memory on first aid and give you tips on how to best handle a situation next time.
5. Alcohol Lesson for Kids: Facts & Effects
While it's a widely-used substance, it doesn't mean consuming alcohol comes without risks. Read the following lesson to learn what happens each time a person drinks and some long-terms effects alcohol has on the body.
6. Obesity Facts: Lesson for Kids
Obesity is a growing health problem in the United States. Come and learn about what obesity is, its causes and risk factors, as well as some tips on how to fight obesity.
7. What is Puberty? - Lesson for Kids
Puberty is an exciting time in one's life, but it can be a little scary if you do not know what to expect. Come and learn about what puberty is, what causes it and what puberty looks like for boys and girls.
8. Sexual Reproduction Lesson for Kids
Sexual reproduction is what the human population relies on to avoid becoming endangered or even extinct. Come and learn about why we reproduce, how it works and how different animals engage in reproduction.
9. Balanced Diet: Lesson for Kids
Everyone knows that they are supposed to eat well, but what exactly does that mean? Read the following lesson to learn why you should follow a balanced diet, what exactly to eat, and what to do if you overdo it with some cheesy fries!
10. Smoking Facts: Lesson for Kids
You know smoking is bad for you, you see the warning labels on the cigarette packs, but why exactly are cigarettes so bad? Read the following lesson to learn about the different things that can happen to you from picking up this deadly habit.
11. Drug Facts: Lesson for Kids
Drugs are an important issue in countries around the world. Come and learn about what drugs are, the different types of drugs and what they do and some ways to say no to drugs.
12. Vaccines Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
In this lesson, learn how vaccines were discovered and why they are necessary. We'll also explore exactly how vaccines work in the body to give you protection from illnesses.
13. Hiccup Lesson for Kids
Did you know that a baby can have hiccups before it's born? Hiccups, whether they happen to a baby or you, are usually harmless and temporary. Learn why hiccups happen and discover some ways to get rid of them.
14. Penicillin Lesson for Kids: Discovery & History
Penicillin is a kind of medicine that has saved many lives. Come learn about penicillin, what it is made from, why it is important and some other interesting facts about this medication.
15. Tobacco Facts: Lesson for Kids
Do you like having trouble breathing? Do you want to be the slowest member of the track team? Do you like having acne? If not, then you probably should never use tobacco. This lesson will discuss the harmful effects of tobacco.
16. What is Asthma? - Lesson for Kids
You might not think about breathing during the day, but for people with asthma, breathing is something that's often on their minds. In this lesson, learn what happens during an asthma attack and how asthma is treated.
17. Neurotransmitters Lesson for Kids
Did you know that your body uses chemicals to communicate? Learn about a special type of chemical called a neurotransmitter and how your nerve cells use it to discuss what's going on in and around you.
18. Dandruff Lesson for Kids
The first thing you notice are white flakes on the shoulder of your shirt, and then you see the same flakes in your hair. The problem is dandruff. Learn what dandruff is, what causes it, and how it's treated.
19. Vitamin Lesson for Kids: Facts & Definition
We hear about vitamins in the food we eat, but can you name three? Learn what vitamins are, the two different types of vitamins and interesting vitamin facts in this lesson.
20. Tissue Definition: Lesson for Kids
This lesson looks at the four main tissues in the human body. Each tissue is composed of small units called cells, and these tissues perform unique functions throughout the body.
21. Nervous Tissue Lesson for Kids
The nervous tissue that makes up your nervous system is what allows you to figure out what's going on around you and then respond in a way that makes sense. Learn about nervous tissue and how it could save you from a zombie attack!
22. Muscle Tissue Lesson for Kids
Having big muscles like athletes or your favorite superheroes can be a sign of strength. However, you may be surprised to learn that muscles also play many other important roles in how your body functions and lives, which we'll explore here.
23. Farm Safety: Lesson for Kids
Farms can be an amazing place to live, work, or visit. They are so important to providing food and other needed things, but they can be dangerous. In this lesson, you will learn about how to stay safe on the farm.
24. Pulse Lesson for Kids
Lub Dub, Lub Dub. Thump. Thump. These are all sounds we think of when we imagine our hearts beating. We can't hear our hearts beat, but we can feel it by taking our pulse. Let's learn what a pulse is, how you can measure it, and what your pulse tells you about how hard your heart is working.
25. What is Bile? - Lesson for Kids
You might love greasy foods like pizza and burgers, but your liver needs to make a special substance called bile to break down the fats in these foods. Learn about bile and how it helps you digest fatty foods.
26. Sleep Lesson for Kids: Facts & Importance
Getting enough sleep is very important for your health. In this lesson, we'll learn how sleep helps us and why we need it so much. We'll also learn some fun sleep facts that you might not know!
27. Candy Facts: Lesson for Kids
Candy is a wonderful treat. This lesson will explore the ingredients of candy and explain the science behind how these ingredients make a huge variety of different candies.
28. Breakfast Facts: Lesson for Kids
It's often been called the most important meal of the day for numerous reasons. In this lesson, we will learn about breakfast, why it is so important, and how people enjoy this meal throughout the world.
29. Nutrients Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
You probably know that your body needs food to survive, but did you know that it's the nutrients in the food that make survival possible? Learn about the nutrients found in food and how they provide the materials you need to stay healthy and grow.
30. Vitamin C Lesson for Kids: Facts & Benefits
Vitamin C is found in many fruits and vegetables, and it keeps the body healthy. In this lesson, we'll learn what foods have vitamin C and how vitamin C helps keep the body working like it should.
31. Lactic Acid Lesson for Kids
Your body has a variety of ways to get the energy that it needs to move and do work. In this lesson, you'll discover the amazing ways that lactic acid impacts your body and how it is used in foods.
32. Vitamin A Lesson for Kids: Facts & Benefits
Vitamin A is an important substance that your body needs to be healthy and strong. In this lesson, you will learn about vitamin A, foods that contain vitamin A, and how important it is to your growth and development.
33. Pasteurization Lesson for Kids: Definition & Process
Think about what you drink. Do you enjoy a glass of chocolate milk, milk with cereal, or apple juice with breakfast? In this lesson, you are going to learn about pasteurization and how it is kills harmful bacteria in products you eat and drink.
34. Facts About Food Allergies: Lesson for Kids
Did you know that millions of Americans are allergic to a specific kind of food? Food allergies are everywhere in our country. Come and learn more about what food allergies are, their symptoms, common food allergies and how you handle them in your real life.
35. Food Safety & Hygiene Facts: Lesson for Kids
Food's important to a person's growth and survival; however, food can also hurt people. Without using proper food safety and hygiene, your food can do more harm than good. In this lesson, you'll learn about how to make sure your food is safe to eat.
36. Food Preservation Methods: Lesson for Kids
Food is yummy when it's fresh, but when food starts to get old it isn't tasty or safe to eat. In this lesson, learn about the ways you can make food stay fresh longer with different food preservation methods.
37. History of Food Preservation: Lesson for Kids
Food preservation dates as far back as humans do. Some methods have been around as long as humans have, and other methods are relatively new. Let's learn all about them!
38. Facts About Food Poisoning: Lesson for Kids
Being sick is no fun, and food poisoning is no exception. Come and learn about what food poisoning is, what it feels like, how you can prevent it and what you should do if you or someone you know comes down with food poisoning.
39. Junk Food Definition, Facts & Side Effects: Lesson for Kids
Junk food includes food products that are processed and have very little nutritional value. Which junk foods do you eat, and how might they be harmful? Read on to learn more.
40. Zygote Lesson for Kids: Definition, Formation & Facts
The making of a new animal is a long process, but the very first step is the formation of a zygote. In this lesson, learn the definition of a zygote, find out how exactly it's formed, and explore some other fun facts.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Biology for Kids course
- Animals for Elementary School
- Biology Basics for Elementary School
- Fruit & Vegetable Facts for Elementary School
- Parts of the Human Body for Elementary School
- Plants & Animals for Elementary School
- Cell Biology for Elementary School
- Diseases & Illnesses for Elementary School
- Early Humans for Elementary School
- Ecosystems for Elementary School