About This Chapter
Health Insurance Policies & the Government - Chapter Summary
Even if you studied and work in insurance, health insurance policies and the government can get confusing, which is why this well-mapped out chapter is a great tool to teach you brand new information and refresh your memory. Start off with the first lesson in the chapter, then build up your knowledge as you move from lesson to lesson. You can skip around if you already know some of this information, and you can always go back if some lessons don't make sense. By completing the chapter, you will have gained the knowledge to do the following:
- Describe the regulations and roles of health care and insurance
- Identify the main features of the U.S. health care system
- Analyze the concept and types of health insurance
- Check out an overview of health maintenance organizations (HMOs)
- Define preferred provider organizations (PPOs)
- Examine flexible benefits and insurance for employees
- Explain major provisions of the Affordable Care and Patient Protection Act
- Point out present-day trends in health care costs
- Compare individual vs. group insurance
- Review the necessity of COBRA
- Show the features of long-term care insurance (LTCI)
- Determine the different kinds of health care coverage
- Establish the purpose of supplemental health insurance
Many of our users are busy professionals who are constantly on the go, so we have built our study materials to accompany such busy people. Everything that we provide to you is 100% mobile-friendly. That means if you can get online, you can study our materials. It doesn't matter if you are at home, commuting to work on the tram, waiting in line, or wherever, you can take advantage of all those gaps in your schedule and study with us anytime, day or night.
1. Health Insurance and Health Care: Overview, Roles & Regulations
This lesson will explain the major aspects of health insurance and its role in your health care costs. We will discuss premiums, deductibles, coinsurance, copays, and more!
2. The U.S. Health Care System: Description, Structure, Cost, Quality & Access
This lesson will explore the issues associated with the costs and quality of health care access, as well as what HMOs, PPOs, POS, HSAs, Medicare, and Medicaid are.
3. Health Insurance: Types & Concept
Did you know that there are an estimated 1 billion health insurance claims filed each year? Learn more about the different types of health insurance that are available in the United States.
4. Health Maintenance Organization (HMO): Definition & Overview
Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) is a specific type of health insurance plan. Let's follow a hypothetical HMO consumer, Emy, as she learns all about her medical coverage under her HMO plan.
5. Preferred Provider Organization (PPO): Definition & Overview
A preferred provider organization (PPO) is a specific type of health insurance plan that contracts with medical providers. We'll use an example of a patient with a PPO plan to learn what these plans cover - and what they don't.
6. Insurance & Flexible Benefits for Employees
Employee benefits, such as insurance and flexible spending accounts, offer a valuable incentive for employees to join and stay with a company. In this lesson, we'll explore a few common types of benefits and how they work.
7. The Affordable Care & Patient Protection Act: Key Provisions
In this lesson, you'll learn about the Affordable Care Act and how it impacts individuals with and without health insurance. You'll also learn what benefits it provides to those with health insurance.
8. Health Care Costs: Trends & Reducing Personal Costs
After reading this lesson, you will see why health care costs are rising and how the Affordable Care Act has affected this rise in prices. You'll also learn some ways you can help lower your medical costs.
9. Group & Individual Insurance: Comparison Pros & Cons
After reading this lesson, you will know how individual and group insurances are different. You will know the pros and cons of each. You can then choose the one that works best for you.
10. COBRA: Overview and Importance
Health insurance is one of the most important benefits an employee receives. In this lesson, you'll learn how COBRA allows an employee to keep his insurance coverage after he has left employment. A short quiz follows.
11. Long-Term Care Insurance (LTCI): Definition & Features
This lesson describes the basic features of Long Term Care Insurance (LTCI) and what aid LTCI covers that is not covered by basic healthcare insurance.
12. Types of Health Insurance Coverage
Read this lesson to learn about the different types of health insurance you can purchase. Learn what basic health insurance covers along with what types of extra insurance you can purchase to cover your medical needs.
13. Supplemental Health Insurance Policies
We can purchase insurance to protect us from financial hardship in the event of accident, critical illness, or cancer. In this lesson, you will learn about supplemental health insurance.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Life & Health Insurance Exam Prep & Practice course
- Types of Life Insurance Policies
- Policy Riders, Provisions, Options & Exclusions
- Taxes, Retirement & Other Insurance Concepts
- Disability Insurance Policies
- Provisions of Health Insurance Policies
- Social Insurance Programs
- Health Insurance Rights & Benefits
- Insurance Applications & Underwriting
- Contract Law in Insurance