About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your health issues and concerns homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample problems and get instant feedback.
- Finish your health issues and concerns homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- Major health concerns in the U.S.
- Immune system process
- Structure and function of viruses
- Disease control methods
- Differences between infection and disease
- Health risks of using tobacco
- Carbohydrates needed by the body
- Dietary requirements for insoluble and soluble fiber
- Importance of proteins and amino acids
- Sources of vitamins
- Functions of minerals in food
- Process of making healthy nutritional choices
- Symptoms and treatment of anorexia and bulimia
- Sources of environmental health
1. Major Health Problems in the United States
Ever wonder what the most common health-related problems are in the United States? You're about to find out what they are and how some of them are related.
2. What Are Viruses? - Definition, Structure & Function
In this lesson, you'll learn some historical facts about viruses and the material they are composed of. Find out more as we review the capsid, nucleic acids, the viral envelope, viruses, virions, bacteriophages and virology.
3. Disease Control & Prevention
This lesson will discuss the many different ways by which people can control disease. Everything from vaccination to sterilization and beyond will be mentioned so that you can better appreciate the large arsenal of tools at our disposal.
4. The Differences Between Infection and Disease
This lesson will go over the differences between an infection and a disease. We'll cover everything from prions and infectivity to opportunistic infections and idiopathic disease. We'll also learn what the etiology of disease is and much more.
5. What is Anorexia Nervosa? - Definition, Symptoms, Treatment and Prognosis
This lesson explores what anorexia nervosa is and why it is so dangerous. It covers common symptoms seen in children who may develop anorexia as well as what anorexia will do to those who suffer from it.
6. What is Bulimia Nervosa? - Definition, Symptoms, Treatment and Prognosis
This lesson explores bulimia as well as challenges many common misconceptions of bulimia. Specifically, this lesson describes the diagnostic requirements, the subtypes, and the treatments known to help with bulimia.
7. What Is Environmental Health? Definition, Types & Sources
In this video lesson, you will learn about environmental health. You will also learn about threats to environmental health and how to distinguish between different categories of environmental hazards.
8. What Is Dyspnea? - Definition, Causes & Treatment
Dyspnea can be a transient condition that quickly dissipates, but it can be a symptom of a more serious disease. Today we will learn what dyspnea is as well as its causes and treatment.
9. What is Anesthesia? - Definition & Types
Can you imagine having surgery without being put to sleep or getting stitches without numbing the skin? Anesthesia allows us to have painful procedures without feeling pain, and in this lesson you'll learn about the different types used in medicine today.
10. Anesthesia: History & Invention
The history of anesthesia, and the process that prevents you from feeling horrific pain during a medical or surgical procedure is complex, but this lesson will give you an important primer on the history this incredible process and these amazing drugs.
11. Anesthesia: Stages, Side Effects & Risks
Anesthesia is medicine used to control a person's consciousness or pain perception during surgery or another medical procedure. This lesson will explain the different types of anesthesia, the side effects, and the risks involved.
12. What is Analgesia? - Definition & Types
Learn about the group of medications known as analgesics, and how they improve your daily life. Explore the different groups of analgesics and how they are used.
13. Analgesia vs. Anesthesia
If you're confused as to the difference between analgesia and anesthesia, this lesson explains everything for you once and for all in a clear way. You'll learn what they are as well as examples of what drugs are used for each.
14. What is Osteology? - Definition & Terms
Are you into bones? Especially the very specific nuances and details of bones? If so, then the field of osteology may be up your alley. Learn its definition and some of its terms here.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Middle School Life Science: Homework Help Resource course
- Introduction to Life Science: Homework Help
- Characteristics & Chemicals of Life: Homework Help
- The Parts of Cells: Homework Help
- DNA Replication & Mutation: Homework Help
- Cell Division & the Cell Cycle: Homework Help
- How Living Organisms Get Energy: Homework Help
- Classification of Organisms: Homework Help
- The Origin & History of Life On Earth: Homework Help
- Genetics & Hereditary Traits: Homework Help
- Genetic Engineering Basics: Homework Help
- Natural Selection & Evolution in Life Science: Homework Help
- Microbiology & Types of Microbes: Homework Help
- Introduction to Ecosystems: Homework Help
- Types of Ecosystems: Homework Help
- Changing Ecosystems: Homework Help
- Invertebrates: Homework Help
- Animal Behavior & Communication: Homework Help
- Mammal Reproduction & Development: Homework Help
- The Cardiovascular System: Homework Help
- The Blood Vessels: Homework Help
- The Digestive System: Homework Help
- The Urinary & Endocrine Systems: Homework Help
- The Muscular System: Homework Help
- The Skeletal System & Connective Tissue: Homework Help
- Sight, Hearing & Other Senses: Homework Help
- Plant Biology & Structure: Homework Help
- How Plants Grow & Reproduce: Homework Help
- Environmental Concerns: Homework Help
- Natural Resources: Homework Help