About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other life science work.
- Identify the health concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our Middle School Life Science Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about health issues and concerns and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding differences between disease and infection, the human immune system, nutrition or any other health-related topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their science learning
- Prefer learning about science visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their health issues and concerns unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in middle school life science
- Don't have access to their science teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about health issues and concerns simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live science tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about health issues and concerns on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Describe some of America's major health problems
- Discover how the immune system works to protect the body
- Define viruses and identify their components
- Explore methods for controlling the spread of diseases
- Differentiate between diseases and infections
- Examine the effects of tobacco use on human health
- Get information about simple and complex carbohydrates, soluble and insoluble fiber, and amino acids and protein
- Distinguish between saturated, polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats
- Discover the importance of vitamins, minerals and healthy nutritional choices in our diets
- Explore the benefits of physical exercise
- Learn about anorexia nervosa and bulimia symptoms and treatment
- Define environmental health and explore environmental hazards
1. Major Health Problems in the United States
Ever wonder what the most common health-related problems are in the United States? You're about to find out what they are and how some of them are related.
2. What Are Viruses? - Definition, Structure & Function
In this lesson, you'll learn some historical facts about viruses and the material they are composed of. Find out more as we review the capsid, nucleic acids, the viral envelope, viruses, virions, bacteriophages and virology.
3. Disease Control & Prevention
This lesson will discuss the many different ways by which people can control disease. Everything from vaccination to sterilization and beyond will be mentioned so that you can better appreciate the large arsenal of tools at our disposal.
4. The Differences Between Infection and Disease
This lesson will go over the differences between an infection and a disease. We'll cover everything from prions and infectivity to opportunistic infections and idiopathic disease. We'll also learn what the etiology of disease is and much more.
5. What is Anorexia Nervosa? - Definition, Symptoms, Treatment and Prognosis
This lesson explores what anorexia nervosa is and why it is so dangerous. It covers common symptoms seen in children who may develop anorexia as well as what anorexia will do to those who suffer from it.
6. What is Bulimia Nervosa? - Definition, Symptoms, Treatment and Prognosis
This lesson explores bulimia as well as challenges many common misconceptions of bulimia. Specifically, this lesson describes the diagnostic requirements, the subtypes, and the treatments known to help with bulimia.
7. What Is Environmental Health? Definition, Types & Sources
In this video lesson, you will learn about environmental health. You will also learn about threats to environmental health and how to distinguish between different categories of environmental hazards.
8. What is Hydration? - Definition, Facts & Benefits
Learn about hydration and its importance to the body. We will look at the facts and the benefits of hydration. There is a short quiz to take at the end of the lesson to check your knowledge.
9. What is Renal Artery Stenosis?
Renal artery stenosis is a condition that occurs when the renal artery, supplying blood to the kidneys, is narrowed. For most people treatment is easy and non-invasive.
10. Common Viral Infections: Types, Symptoms & Treatment
In this lesson we'll look at some examples of common viruses. For each one we'll describe characteristics of the virus, what the symptoms are and how the infection is treated.
11. Viral Infections in Babies & Toddlers
After completing this lesson, you will have a better understanding of viral infections in babies and toddlers. A short quiz follows this lesson so that you can test your newfound knowledge.
12. L-Thyroxine Medication: Dosage & Side Effects
Levothyroxine is frequently prescribed for patients with hypothyroidism. In this lesson we will examine the dosages for different levels of severity and discuss the side effects of the medication.
13. Basic Cooking Terms & Techniques
In this lesson, we'll explore basic cooking terms. Knowing a variety of common cooking tools and techniques will open up a world of culinary delight. Read on to learn more now.
14. Common Bacterial Diseases in Humans
Have you wondered what some of the more common bacterial diseases that affect humans are? This lesson goes over some of them as well as the problems they cause.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Middle School Life Science: Tutoring Solution course
- Introduction to Life Science: Tutoring Solution
- Characteristics & Chemicals of Life: Tutoring Solution
- The Parts of Cells: Tutoring Solution
- DNA Replication & Mutation: Tutoring Solution
- Cell Division & the Cell Cycle: Tutoring Solution
- How Living Organisms Get Energy: Tutoring Solution
- Classification of Organisms: Tutoring Solution
- The Origin & History of Life On Earth: Tutoring Solution
- Genetics & Hereditary Traits: Tutoring Solution
- Genetic Engineering Basics: Tutoring Solution
- Natural Selection & Evolution in Life Science: Tutoring Solution
- Microbiology & Types of Microbes: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Ecosystems: Tutoring Solution
- Types of Ecosystems: Tutoring Solution
- Changing Ecosystems: Tutoring Solution
- Invertebrates: Tutoring Solution
- Animal Behavior & Communication: Tutoring Solution
- Mammal Reproduction & Development: Tutoring Solution
- The Cardiovascular System: Tutoring Solution
- The Blood Vessels: Tutoring Solution
- The Digestive System: Tutoring Solution
- The Urinary & Endocrine Systems: Tutoring Solution
- The Muscular System: Tutoring Solution
- The Skeletal System & Connective Tissue: Tutoring Solution
- Sight, Hearing & Other Senses: Tutoring Solution
- Plant Biology & Structure: Tutoring Solution
- How Plants Grow & Reproduce: Tutoring Solution
- Environmental Concerns: Tutoring Solution
- Natural Resources: Tutoring Solution