About This Chapter
Physical Education for Children - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter explain the components and benefits of physical, health and wellness education in schools. Review what is meant by health, wellness, and physical fitness, how to promote health in children and why physical activity helps students to be better learners. After completing this chapter, you will have covered the following topics:
- Facilitation of healthy behaviors
- Health risks for children
- How health and activity impact learning and development in children
- Exercise program components
- Motor difficulties in children
This chapter is broken down into a series of short lessons that explain concepts individually in an easy-to-understand manner. Use the timeline tags to skip directly to the points in the lesson you need to cover. After you've completed the lessons, use the practice quizzes and chapter exam to assess how well you've retained the information.
1. Health & Wellness: Definition and Dimensions
It's important to be happy and healthy! This lesson will contrast between health and wellness as well as what the different dimension of wellness are and how they interact.
2. Health Behaviors and Promotion: Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, we will discuss health promotion, health behavior, and the three different kinds of disease prevention strategies you can employ to stay healthy for as long as possible.
3. Major Risks to Children's Health
This lesson will examine the major risks to children's health. We will also discuss some ways that these deaths could be prevented and will end with a quiz to test your knowledge.
4. How Health Influences Learning in Children
This lesson highlights several common issues that impact health and learning in children. Following the lesson is a short quiz to test what you have learned.
5. What is Physical Fitness? - Definition & Importance
Physical fitness is your ability to carry out tasks without undue fatigue. Learn about the components of physical fitness: cardiorespiratory endurance, muscle strength, muscle endurance, flexibility and body composition and why they are important.
6. Components of Exercise Programs: Aerobics, Strength Training & Stretching
Ever wonder what stretching, strength training, and aerobic exercises are? You'll learn about them in this lesson. You'll also find out what some basic recommendations are for each type of exercise.
7. Physical Activity: Health, Fitness and Performance
Physical activity is any movement of your muscles that uses energy. Physical activity helps you achieve better health, fitness and performance. Learn how the overload principle and specificity principle improve your fitness and performance.
8. How Physical Activity Impacts Childhood Development
Physical activity is an important aspect of childhood development for many reasons. This lesson will explore the importance of physical activity for healthy development and will end with a quiz to test your knowledge.
9. Identifying Motor Skill Difficulties in Children
Find out what motor skills are and the differences between fine and gross skills. Learn about motor skills development and indicators of motor skill dificulties in children.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Early Childhood Education (101): Practice & Study Guide course
- Early Childhood Development
- Developmental Learning Theories
- Basic Professional Skills for Educators
- Health & Safety Issues in Early Childhood
- Promoting Learning & Development
- Assessment in Early Childhood
- Positive Learning Environments for Young Children
- Oral Language Development in Children
- Teaching Reading Mechanics
- Strategies for Teaching Reading Fluency & Comprehension
- Writing Instruction for Early Childhood Education
- Educating Children Using the Arts
- Math Foundations for Instruction
- Number Sense for Children
- Teaching Social Studies Concepts & Skills
- Teaching Basic Science Concepts & Skills
- Working with Parents & Colleagues in Early Childhood Education
- Professional Responsibilities & Special Education for Educators
- NES Early Childhood Education Flashcards