About This Chapter
Health Policy Development, Implementation & Impact - Chapter Summary
Follow along with our expert instructors to summarize the process of developing and implementing health policy. This chapter breaks down health system models and explains how public health science, cultural competence, research and interest groups can affect health policy. Be sure to take the accompanying self-assessment quizzes to reinforce the information you study. You can use any computer or mobile device to access these resources, and they're available to study at any time that fits your schedule. By the end of the chapter, you'll be able to:
- Explain the development and implementation of health policy
- Understand how/why health system models are built for policy development
- Discuss how health policy development is affected by public health science
- Evaluate the role of cultural competence in health care law and policy
- Tell how research affects the development of health policy
- Assess the role of interest groups in public health policy
- Analyze a case study pertaining to state vaccination policymaking
1. Developing & Implementing Health Policy
Health policy lays the foundation for care of patients in the US. This lesson uncovers the methods for developing and implementing health policies as well as examples of the process and finished product.
2. Building Health System Models for Policy Development
Health system models guide policy development by comparing groups, characteristics, and behavior. This lesson will discuss the use of three types of structures used in simulation modeling to develop health policy.
3. How Public Health Science Affects Health Policy Development
Health policy development is a complicated process that involves many different factors. In this lesson, we'll explore how the basic public health sciences each play a distinct role in health policy development.
4. Cultural Competence in Heath Care Policy & Law
Since a person's cultural background may affect whether or not he or she benefits from healthcare, cultural competence is an important aspect of healthcare delivery. This lesson will discuss cultural competence in healthcare policy and law.
5. How Research Affects Health Policy Development
In this lesson you'll learn how research affects health policy development. We'll examine challenges scientists face in communicating their research as well as briefly touch on scientific studies.
6. The Role of Interest Groups in Public Health Policy
You have probably heard that interest groups play a role in influencing national, state, and community level policy. Health policy is no exception, and this lesson gives you an overview of how interest groups influence health policy.
7. HPV Case Study: State Vaccination Policymaking
There is current concern that pharmaceutical companies may be excessively influencing legislation to promote or mandate vaccinations in school-age children. This lesson examines that issue in the specific case of the human papillomavirus vaccine.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 302: Health Services Policy course
- Introduction to Health & Public Policy
- Overview of the U.S. Health Care System
- Organization of Health Services & Systems
- Health Care Financing
- Health Service Providers, Care & Delivery
- Public Health & U.S. Health Care
- U.S. Health Services & Policy
- Determinants in Health Policy
- Understanding Health Policy Analysis
- Analyzing Health Programs & Systems
- Health Policy Research
- Required Assignments for Health 302