About This Chapter
Health Promotion & Disease Prevention - Chapter Summary
While going through these lessons, you will deepen your understanding of health promotion and disease prevention. For instance, you will get a better understanding of vaccination and immunotherapy. This self-paced chapter also provides an overview of basic first aid procedures. After reviewing the lessons, you should be ready to:
- List the benefits of good personal hygiene
- Distinguish the difference between epidemic and pandemic
- Discuss how people can control disease
- Explain what immunity does
- Differentiate between antiseptics, disinfectants, and sterilization
- Define and discuss side effects of antibiotics
- Recall the history of the Word Health Organization
- Explain the purpose of the American Red Cross
These convenient lessons will help you quickly grasp the concepts covered. A brief quiz is available to test your knowledge of each lesson, and the quizzes can be printed for use as a helpful study tool. You can use your personal Dashboard to keep track of the lessons you've completed and your quiz results.
1. The Importance of Personal Hygiene
We are taught how to practice good personal hygiene habits from a young age because these habits can help us in many ways. In this lesson, we'll learn the benefits of good personal hygiene.
2. The Spread of Disease: Endemic, Epidemic & Pandemic
This lesson will talk about what an endemic disease is and how it is different from an epidemic. We'll also discuss how an epidemic differs from something known as a pandemic. Finally, we'll look at some examples of each to help solidify these points.
3. Disease Control & Prevention
This lesson will discuss the many different ways by which people can control disease. Everything from vaccination to sterilization and beyond will be mentioned so that you can better appreciate the large arsenal of tools at our disposal.
4. What is Immunity? - Definition & Types
This lesson will introduce immunity and define what immunity is and what it does. The lesson will also identify the different types of immunity and what they involve.
5. Vaccination and Immunotherapy
This lesson will discuss the basics of how diseases can be prevented or treated using our own immune system's components. We'll talk about vaccination and immunotherapy as well as some specific examples, such as the BCG vaccine, monoclonal antibodies, and more.
6. Antiseptics, Disinfectants & Sterilization
This lesson will discuss the differences between antisepsis, disinfection, and sterilization as well as some of the methods used for sterilization and antiseptic compounds you may have used yourself.
7. What Are Antibiotics? - Definition, Types & Side Effects
Antibiotics are medicines created to fight infections caused by bacteria. They accomplish this by destroying the bacteria in a variety of ways. Learn more about how antibiotics work and take a short quiz at the end.
8. Basic First Aid: Procedures & Guide
This lesson will briefly discuss basic first aid. We will cover a number of topics and provide an overview of what to do in certain situations. Included will be minor problems, emergency issues, and how to decide when to call 911.
9. What is the World Health Organization? - Definition, History & Purpose
The World Health Organization is a group that focuses on global health issues. This lesson will cover its start at the United Nations, its purpose and progress so far, and its challenges in today's world.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ICSE Biology: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Microscopes Basics & Techniques
- Cell Structure Overview
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Basic Genetics Concepts
- Plant & Animal Biotechnology
- The Five Kingdoms of Living Organisms
- Plant Absorption & Transpiration
- Plant Respiration & Gas Exchange
- Plant Photosynthesis Processes
- Structure & Function of Flowering Plants
- Plant Pollination & Fertilization
- Animal Tissue: Structure & Function
- Macromolecules in Nutrition
- Digestive System Structure & Function
- Skeletal System Overview
- Structure & Function of Skin
- Respiratory System Overview
- Circulatory System Structure & Function
- Excretory System Overview
- Basics of the Nervous System
- Endocrine System Overview
- Human Reproduction & Development Basics
- Pathogenic Diseases in India
- Biotic & Abiotic Factors
- Population Growth & Control in India
- Types & Impact of Pollution
- Waste Generation & Management
- ICSE Biology Flashcards