About This Chapter
Health & Regulation of the GI Tract - Chapter Summary
Work through this chapter at your own pace to explore GI tract health and regulation topics. Inside, you'll find a series of short video and text-based lessons that examine gastrointestinal hormone functions, the importance of bacteria in gastrointestinal health, common digestive problems/disorders and effective dietary interventions. These lessons can be studied at any time that's convenient, and we encourage you to take the accompanying self-assessment quizzes to retain the most important terms and concepts. If you have any questions, you can reach out to our instructors online. Studying this chapter will help you:
- Assess the functions of different gastrointestinal hormones
- Evaluate the role of bacteria in gastrointestinal health
- Understand the relationship between digestive problems and gastrointestinal health
- Identify dietary interventions for common gastrointestinal disorders
1. Gastrointestinal Hormones: Definition, Types & Functions
Your food is digested in a complex process, and that process also involves a wide variety of hormones. This lesson goes over some of the more commonly known gastrointestinal hormones and their major actions.
2. Role of Bacteria in Gastrointestinal Health
Besides food, do you know what else is found aplenty in your gut? Bacteria! Find out how many, where and what types as we go over the role of bacteria in gastrointestinal health.
3. Gastrointestinal Health & Digestive Problems
In this lesson, you will learn about digestive health, your gastrointestinal tract and what you can do to keep it healthy. You will also learn about symptoms of common digestive problems.
4. Common Gastrointestinal Disorders & Dietary Interventions
Common GI disorders, such as gastroesophageal reflux disease, celiac disease, irritable bowel syndrome and inflammatory bowel disease, are irritated by certain foods. Learn about foods that should be avoided as well as foods that benefit the GI tract.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UExcel Science of Nutrition: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Understanding Nutrition Basics
- Researching Nutrition
- Diet Planning Basics
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Impact of Lipids on Nutrition
- Protein's Role in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals in Nutrition
- Symptoms of Major Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity
- Symptoms of Trace Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity
- The Role of Vitamins in Nutrition
- Gastrointestinal Anatomy and Digestion
- How the Body Handles Nutrients
- Understanding Cell Anatomy & Metabolism
- Excretion: Urination & Sweat
- Managing the Body's Weight & Energy
- Eating Disorders: Risk to Nutrition
- Role of Physical Fitness in Nutrition
- UExcel Science of Nutrition Flashcards