About This Chapter
Health Risk Factors - Chapter Summary
This chapter discusses the components of good lifestyle decisions in relation to injury and disease prevention using fun, engaging videos. Learn the processes and methods used to perform a risk assessment and find out about health and safety regulations and requirements for protection.
As the chapter progresses, you'll learn about the factors, choices and criteria involved in making healthcare choices and you'll find out how to access appropriate information to improve the quality of your choices. Important risk factors for illness and disease will be explored, including obesity, sedentary lifestyle and smoking, along with ways that these risk factors can be prevented and mitigated. By the end of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain how lifestyle choices affect personal wellness
- Describe healthy lifestyle choices and how they reduce risk of injury or disease
- Assess the importance of preparing for a risk assessment
- Describe protective requirements and acceptable risks associated with health standards
- Identify sources of information that can help you make smart healthcare decisions
- List lifestyle risk factors that can negatively impact health, and how they can be prevented or their consequences mitigated
Learn these concepts via short, enjoyable video lessons that make learning fun. Check your comprehension by taking self-assessment quizzes and reviewing the lesson transcripts provided. We give you the key terms you will need to remember and offer you a jump feature in the timeline that takes you directly to the part of the video you want to review. All these materials have been put together by professional instructors who are experts in their field.
1. Lifestyle Choices and Personal Wellness: Decisions, Behavior & Prevention
What are lifestyle choices? What are acute and chronic problems? Which U.S. agencies are important for disease prevention? You'll find out about this and more in this lesson!
2. What Is a Risk Assessment? - Process, Methods & Examples
What is a risk assessment, and why would we prepare one? In this lesson, we'll learn what it is, why it's needed, and how to prepare a risk assessment and rank potential risks for our business.
3. Health & Safety Regulations: Protection Requirements & Acceptable Risk
Companies have to abide by federal health and safety regulations enforced by OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Act). In this lesson, you will learn the protection requirements and acceptable risks companies must be knowledgeable about in the workplace.
4. Making Health Care Decisions: Factors, Choices & Criteria
Making decisions relating to your healthcare may be a daunting challenge. This lesson will explore where you can turn to for more information and which types of information are best avoided.
5. Mitigating the Effects of Personal Health Risk Factors
There are several personal health risk factors that can increase your chances of serious health issues. This lesson takes a look at some common risk factors that can be addressed before they become much larger problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Health Education (211): Test Practice and Study Guide course
- Overview of the Human Body
- Human Development
- Childhood Growth and Development
- Adolescent Growth and Development
- Adult Growth and Development
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Lipids in Nutrition
- Protein in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals in Health & Nutrition
- Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity in the Body
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Principles of Nutritional Health
- Substance Use, Abuse and Dependence
- Emotional and Mental Health
- Safety and Injury Prevention Strategies
- Physical Fitness Benefits
- Human Sexuality
- Family and Social Systems
- Dealing with Negative Social Behavior
- Public Health Emphasis
- Health Information Resources
- Media & Advertising in Health Information
- Health Care Delivery Systems
- Medical Emergency Care
- Health Education Programs
- Planning & Implementing Health Education Programs
- Evaluating Health Education Programs
- ILTS Health Education Flashcards