About This Chapter
Health, Safety & Community Awareness - Chapter Summary
These lessons provide you with comprehensive overviews of some of the major methods and areas involved in a healthy lifestyle. You can learn about some of the main health issues affecting adults in the United States and the best ways to avoid them. Some specific topics you can study in this chapter are:
- The different sources of health information and their reliability
- How to make health care decisions
- Benefits of physical activity
- The causes, effects and prevention of common health issues
- Personal wellness and lifestyle choices
- How to make healthy nutritional choices
When watching the videos, you can use the video tags to locate the main points for those particular topics. The chapter also offers complete transcripts of each video for you to study on your own time. Additionally, be sure to take the lesson quizzes and final exam to make sure that you understand all of the major topics from the chapter.
1. Sources of Health Information: Overview & Reliability
The Internet is full of information and misinformation. This lesson will teach you how to identify the major sources of health information and determine if they are truly credible.
2. Making Health Care Decisions: Factors, Choices & Criteria
Making decisions relating to your healthcare may be a daunting challenge. This lesson will explore where you can turn to for more information and which types of information are best avoided.
3. The Benefits of Regular Physical Activity: Mental Health, Stress & Life Span
The mind and body can greatly benefit from even 30 minutes of exercise a day. Find out exactly what impact regular exercise can have on your mind, body, and lifespan in this video lesson.
4. Common Health Issues: Causes, Effects & Prevention Strategies
In this lesson, we'll go over some common contemporary health issues that many young people face today. We'll cover sexually transmitted diseases, drug and alcohol use, unintended pregnancies, and mental health issues like anxiety and depression.
5. Lifestyle Choices and Personal Wellness: Decisions, Behavior & Prevention
What are lifestyle choices? What are acute and chronic problems? Which U.S. agencies are important for disease prevention? You'll find out about this and more in this lesson!
6. Making Healthy Nutritional Choices: Habits, Behaviors & Resources
This lesson will help you see how easy it is to track what you eat and change your diet for the better. It will also provide you with additional information on where a wealth of information on healthy nutrition can be found.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Multi-Subject - Teachers of Early Childhood (Birth-Grade 2)(211/212/245): Practice & Study Guide course
- NYSTCE Information Resources
- Language Processing & Development
- Language Teaching Strategies for Diverse Students
- Teaching Phonics, Phonemic Awareness & Fluency
- Teaching the Foundations of English Language Arts
- Teaching Word Recognition in Early Childhood
- Strategies for Vocabulary Instruction
- Language Knowledge & Vocabulary
- Teaching Reading Comprehension in Early Childhood
- Teaching Literacy with Informational Texts
- Early Childhood Writing Development & Instruction
- Promoting Literacy Through Listening
- Early Childhood Reading Issues & Interventions
- Language Arts Assessments in Early Childhood
- Math Instruction & Assessment in Early Childhood
- Teaching Numbers in Early Childhood Education
- Basic Mathematical Operations & Conversions
- Ratios, Rates & Proportional Relationships
- Measurement & Geometry
- Data, Statistics and Probability
- Scientific Inquiry & Investigation
- Physical Science Basics
- Scientific Concepts for the Living Environment
- Use of Engineering & Design in Scientific Learning
- Major U.S. Historical Events
- Role of New York in Shaping the U.S.
- Geography Concepts
- Human Population Distribution Patterns
- Relationship Between Economics, Government & Politics
- Rights & Responsibilities of Citizenship in the U.S.
- Social Studies Research Skills
- Visual Arts Techniques
- Visual & Performing Arts
- Physical Development & Activities in Early Childhood
- Understanding Childhood Development & Care
- Consumer Economics & Personal Resource Management
- Career Development Resources
- NYSTCE Multi-Subject - Teachers of Early Childhood Flashcards