About This Chapter
Health Science Basics - Chapter Summary
This short chapter is designed to provide an overview of major health science topics. It presents definitions, examples and illustrations that cover common health issues and prevention strategies, epidemics, nutrients and nutritional assessment. After you have finished your review of this chapter, you should have strengthened or developed the following abilities:
- Define and provide examples of an epidemic
- Describe causes, impacts and prevention of various health issues faced by young people
- List the six most important nutrients and define nutrition
- Detail the nutrients that provide energy
- Explain how one can determine their nutritional needs
Access these lessons at any time, on any device, and take advantage of expert instruction, printable lesson transcripts and self-paced study. Contact instructors with any lesson-specific questions and track your progress through this chapter using your Dashboard. Determine your need for further review or whether you fully understand this material by taking self-assessment quizzes found in each lesson.
1. What is an Epidemic? - Definition & Examples
If we look back through history, we can point to many epidemics. In this lesson, you'll learn what an epidemic is and see some recent as well as older examples of epidemics. Then, you can test your understanding with a short quiz.
2. Common Health Issues: Causes, Effects & Prevention Strategies
In this lesson, we'll go over some common contemporary health issues that many young people face today. We'll cover sexually transmitted diseases, drug and alcohol use, unintended pregnancies, and mental health issues like anxiety and depression.
3. What is Nutrition?
Nutrition is the process of taking in nutrients from the foods you eat. Learn about the six nutrients needed for energy, maintenance of tissues and regulation of bodily processes: carbohydrates, fats, proteins, water, vitamins and minerals.
4. Energy-Yielding Nutrients: Carbohydrates, Fat & Protein
Carbohydrates, fats and proteins are referred to as the three energy-yielding nutrients because they provide your body with energy that is measured in calories. You'll also learn about another substance that can provide your body with calories, even though it is not a nutrient.
5. Determining Your Nutritional Needs
This lesson will teach you about important terms involved in determining your nutritional needs, as well as about a tool that can help you use the latest nutritional science to figure these things out.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NDA Exam Preparation & Study Guide course
- About the NDA Exam
- Algebra Concepts
- Advanced Algebra Concepts
- Solving Matrices & Determinants
- Trigonometry Concepts
- Geometry & Linear Equations
- Analytic Geometry
- Functions, Limits & Continuity
- Derivative Rules
- Calculations & Applications of Derivatives
- Integral Calculus
- Differential Equations & Applications
- Scalars & Vectors in Algebra
- Visualizing Statistics
- Probability Concepts in Math
- Grammar and Usage
- Improving Reading Comprehension
- Measurements in Physics
- Motion in Physics
- Basics of Work, Power & Energy
- Understanding Heat Transfer
- Sound Waves
- Light, Mirrors & Lenses
- Electric Currents & Power
- Scientific Technology, Machines & Tools
- The Atom & Structure of Elements
- Chemical Properties of Elements & Substances
- Chemical Symbols, Formulas & Reactions
- Qualities of Living Organisms
- Solar System & Eclipses
- Achievements of Famous Scientists
- Indian History
- Overview of Major World History Events
- World Government Types
- The Earth
- Earth's Oceans, Atmosphere & Climate
- Regional Geography of South Asia
- Modern Day Events in India
- NDA Exam Preparation & Study Guide Flashcards