About This Chapter
Health Screening - Chapter Summary
Use this chapter's lessons to refresh your knowledge of various types of health screenings, including those used as a condition for employment. Our instructors will discuss tests and treatments for cancer as well as preventive measures. In another lesson, you'll review information on high-risk behaviors and how they can be changed. Dental health screenings are also an important topic in this chapter, with several lessons on dental issues. After watching all the videos, you should have a better understanding of:
- Pre-employment health screenings
- Diagnostic methods and treatments for breast cancer
- Risk factors, screenings, treatment and preventive methods for cancer
- Impact of risk behaviors and strategies to change them
- Causes and treatment of dental plaque
- Causes of tooth decay and cavities
You can watch these lively video lessons as your schedule allows, via computer, tablet or smartphone. Our instructors use animations and humor to make learning fun. After every lesson is a short multiple-choice quiz that lets you test your learning. If you give an incorrect answer, use the link in the answer key to return to the part of the lesson that discusses that topic. There's also a printable sheet with all the quiz questions, so you can study offline, too.
1. What Is an Occupational Health Check?
Some employers require prospective employees to take a pre-employment physical before the employee can start work. Learn more about employee health screenings and when employers are and are not permitted to ask medical questions.
2. Breast Cancer: Screening, Diagnosis, Treatment & Prognosis
Some types of lumps and their locations in breast cancer have better prognoses than others. There are multiple ways to try and catch breast cancer early, diagnose it, and treat it properly. You'll learn about all of this in this lesson.
3. Risk Factors, Screening, Treatment, and Prevention of Cancer
Cancer prevention, screening, and treatment are three important steps in helping to beat back this devastating condition. We will discuss them, as well as the common risk factors for cancer, in this lesson.
4. Risk Behavior and Strategies for Behavioral Change: Focus, Impact & Change
This lesson will discuss the short and long-term consequences of several different risk behaviors. We'll also go into some simple but effective strategies you can use to help avoid or stop these behaviors.
5. What Is Dental Plaque? - Definition, Causes & Removal
Learn what dental plaque is, how it forms, how it affects your teeth and gums, and how to remove it before it causes tooth decay or oral gum disease. Dental plaque is a soft colorless accumulation of bacteria on teeth, and it can cause serious health problems.
6. Cavities and Tooth Decay: Bacterial Causes of Common Dental Issues
Did you know that getting cavities in your teeth is an infectious disease? Cavities are a result of bacteria in the genus Streptococcus. In this lesson, we will examine how bacteria contribute to tooth decay.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the WEST Health/Fitness (029): Practice & Study Guide course
- Human Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth and Development
- Adolescent Growth and Development
- Adult Growth and Development
- Overview of the Human Body
- Physical Fitness & Nutrition
- Functional Properties of Nutrients
- Nutrients and the Body
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Nutritional Balance
- The Risk of Eating Disorders to Nutrition
- Emotional and Mental Health
- Enhancing Social Health
- Social Systems & Communication
- Family Structures & Issues
- Prejudice, Aggression & Conflict
- Factors Influencing Health
- Illnesses and Diseases
- Public Health Emphasis
- Healthy Relationships and Sexuality
- Influences in Sexual Relationships
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Making Decisions in Health Care
- Health Protection Laws and Programs
- Media & Advertising of Health Information
- Injury Prevention and Safety Strategies
- Emergency Care
- Principles of Motor Development, Learning & Control
- Gross Anatomy & Functions of the Muscular System
- Elements of Human Growth & Energy
- Principles of Rhythmic Activities
- Principles of Gymnastic Activities
- Principles of Individual & Outdoor Activities
- Effective Teaching Strategies
- Approaches to Instruction
- Principles of Dual & Team Sports
- Principles of Cooperative & Group Games
- The Skeletal System & Connective Tissue
- Understanding & Assessing Fitness
- Principles & Benefits of Physical Fitness
- Promoting Health & Fitness Components
- Developing Physical Fitness Plans
- Impact of Physical Activity on Personal & Social Behaviors
- Teaching Techniques for Health Educators
- Managing & Coping with Stress
- Careers in Health & Fitness
- WEST Health/Fitness Flashcards