About This Chapter
Health Service Providers, Care & Delivery - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our expert health services policy instructors break down information regarding health service providers, care and delivery. After examining various types of health services, you'll review the roles of primary, inpatient and outpatient care within the U.S. healthcare system. You can access the chapter any time using your computer or mobile device, and each lesson comes with a short practice quiz. To make sure you fully understand these concepts, we encourage you to take the chapter's comprehensive multiple-choice exam. When you're finished, you should be able to:
- Compare different types of health services and providers
- Describe the role of primary care in the United States' healthcare system
- Differentiate between inpatient and outpatient care
- Recognize the different divisions of the healthcare system
- Discuss how policy may be affected by the future of health services delivery
1. Health Services: Definition, Types & Providers
Different health services offer a wide range of care from a variety of licensed medical providers. This lesson will discuss the definition, types, and providers of health services.
2. The Role of Primary Care in the U.S. Healthcare System
This lesson defines primary care, explains the role primary care providers play in the current healthcare system, and identifies the differences between primary, secondary and tertiary healthcare. It also explores current trends in primary care.
3. What is Outpatient Care? - Definition & Examples
This lesson defines outpatient care in the U.S. and what services are generally provided. We'll also review some of the main categories of outpatient care, including primary care clinics; home-, school-, and employer-based healthcare; and outpatient services given within hospitals.
4. What Is Inpatient Care? - Definition, Services & Delivery
Inpatient care begins with an individual's admission to a hospital for management and treatment of active illness. Read this lesson to learn more about inpatient care and the services provided during a general hospital stay.
5. Divisions of the Healthcare System
There are many divisions within the healthcare system in the United States. This lesson will discuss some overlooked but extremely important sectors of the healthcare industry.
6. How the Future of Health Services Delivery Affects Policy
Health service delivery is the way that health is delivered to you and your community. A debated, changing topic, health service delivery affects policy in regards to what new delivery methods will be implemented.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 302: Health Services Policy course
- Introduction to Health & Public Policy
- Overview of the U.S. Health Care System
- Organization of Health Services & Systems
- Health Care Financing
- Public Health & U.S. Health Care
- U.S. Health Services & Policy
- Determinants in Health Policy
- Health Policy Development, Implementation & Impact
- Understanding Health Policy Analysis
- Analyzing Health Programs & Systems
- Health Policy Research
- Required Assignments for Health 302