About This Chapter
Health & Wellness Basics - Chapter Summary
When reviewing for a test, it's best to start with the basics including this chapter on health and wellness. In these video lessons you will go through a recap of the factors and lifestyle choices connected to maintaining one's health and improving overall wellness. After you go through the chapter, you should feel more confident about answering questions that address the following:
- Wellness and related health terminology
- Serious health problems in the U.S.
- Choices affecting wellness
- Wellness and locus of control
- Identifying risk behaviors
- Behavior change strategies
- Developing a plan for health-improvement
There are many ways to use the materials we offer as you prepare for your test, and the easiest place to start is your user dashboard. This location acts as your central hub for studying. From here you can see every lesson or chapter you have already gone through, your scores from various quizzes, and recommendations for additional chapters to study. There is even a place where you can ask our instructors questions, just in case you need clarification on information from the chapters.
When reviewing for a test, you can decide whether you want to review everything or only a few topics. If you want to review everything, start with the first lesson in the chapter. Allow our instructors to guide you through the video lessons in order. Make sure to read the transcripts to improve retention of the materials. If you only want to review a few topics, glance at the lesson titles and select the video lessons you need. You can also double check to see how well you know the information by taking the lesson quizzes.
1. Health & Wellness: Definition and Dimensions
It's important to be happy and healthy! This lesson will contrast between health and wellness as well as what the different dimension of wellness are and how they interact.
2. Major Health Problems in the United States
Ever wonder what the most common health-related problems are in the United States? You're about to find out what they are and how some of them are related.
3. Lifestyle Choices and Personal Wellness: Decisions, Behavior & Prevention
What are lifestyle choices? What are acute and chronic problems? Which U.S. agencies are important for disease prevention? You'll find out about this and more in this lesson!
4. Locus of Control: Definition & Relation to Wellness
Are you an internally or externally focused person? What does that really all mean? How does it affect your view of the world and your potential successes and failures? This and more will be discussed in this lesson.
5. Risk Behavior and Strategies for Behavioral Change: Focus, Impact & Change
This lesson will discuss the short and long-term consequences of several different risk behaviors. We'll also go into some simple but effective strategies you can use to help avoid or stop these behaviors.
6. Creating a Behavior Management Plan: Steps & Behavioral Changes
This lesson will outline the steps you need to take if you'd like to make a positive, health-related change in your life. You'll learn about keeping a journal and how to set SMART goals for yourself.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PLACE Health: Practice & Study Guide course
- Human Growth & Development
- Infant Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth & Development
- Adolescence Growth & Development
- Growth & Development in Adulthood
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Mendelian Genetics & Mechanisms of Heredity
- Health of the Aging Population
- Dying and Bereavement in Older Adults
- Understanding the Disease Process
- Pathogens & the Immune System
- Nutritional Health & Diet Planning
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Lipids in Nutrition
- Protein's Role in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals in Nutrition
- Symptoms of Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity
- How Vitamins Support Nutrition
- Eating Disorders & Treatments
- Weight Management & Energy Needs
- Understanding Dental Health
- Physical Fitness & Nutrition
- Effects of Sleep on Health
- Emotional and Mental Health
- Making Health Decisions
- Addictive Behaviors and Drug Use
- Alcohol & Tobacco Use and Personal Health
- Drugs & Substance Use Disorders
- Family Systems & Healthy Behavior
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Managing Family & Peer Relationships
- Sexuality & Health
- Media & Advertising of Health Information
- Community & Public Health
- Child Abuse & Abduction
- Sexual Harassment & Violence
- Environmental Risk Analysis
- Environmental Pollution & Health Concerns
- Personal Safety Precautions
- PLACE Health Flashcards