About This Chapter
Health & Wellness Overview - Chapter Summary
Use this chapter to boost your understanding of how health is impacted by hygiene practices and personal care. Take a look at techniques and tips for stress management.
Examine types and warning signs of addiction and addictive behaviors. Consider the effects of smoking on others and the environment. Study other lesson information, like:
- Decisions, behavior and prevention related to personal wellness and lifestyle choices
- Definition and ideas for personal goal setting
- Meaning and overview of coping strategy
- Physical consequences and treatment of drug abuse
- Symptoms, causes, effects and treatment of alcoholism
- Addiction and short-term effects of tobacco use
- Long-term consequences of smoking
- Screening, risk factors, treatment and prevention of cancer
This study program can be worked on by logging in from your Internet-ready mobile device any time you have 10 minutes, which is usually enough time to complete a lesson. Track your progress on your dashboard.
1. Lifestyle Choices and Personal Wellness: Decisions, Behavior & Prevention
What are lifestyle choices? What are acute and chronic problems? Which U.S. agencies are important for disease prevention? You'll find out about this and more in this lesson!
2. Personal Goal Setting: Definition & Ideas
Everyone sits around daydreaming about what they want to have and do in life. The question is, 'how are we going to do it?' It is important to establish personal goals and then a plan on how to reach them. This lesson shows you how to do that.
3. Impact of Personal Care & Hygiene Practices on Health
You've been told to wash your hands and clean your teeth, but do you really know why we bother doing this? In this lesson, you'll learn the importance and impact of hygiene on your health.
4. Stress Management: Techniques & Tips
Do you have a lot of stress in your life? Would you like to learn how to eliminate, reduce, and manage the stress you experience? Here are some tips and techniques on how to do just that.
5. Coping Strategy: Definition & Overview
Study the techniques that people use to handle stress. These techniques or behaviors are called coping strategies. Explore different types of coping strategies in this lesson and test your understanding with a quiz.
6. Addiction and Addictive Behaviors: Types & Warning Signs
This lesson will define addiction and addictive behavior in addition to taking a look at what addictive behaviors have in common and what things to look out for in a potential addict.
7. Drug Abuse: Physical Consequences and Treatment
The kidneys, heart, lungs, and skin are all affected by drug use, sometimes severely so. You'll learn how and also the many different ways by which a person can be treated for substance abuse in this lesson.
8. Alcoholism: Causes, Symptoms, Effects & Treatment
Alcohol can be a really terrible thing when it is abused. The problems it causes do not just damage the user but their friends, family, and society as a whole. You'll learn about why alcoholism occurs and how it can be addressed.
9. Tobacco Use: Addiction and Short-Term Effects
In this lesson, you will learn about why it is that smoking is so addictive and what the short-term consequences of tobacco use will result in. You will also find out how nicotine plays an important role in all of this.
10. Smoking: Long-Term Consequences
In this lesson, we will look at why smoking is so harmful to your health from a chemical perspective. After that, we will discuss exactly what smoking causes in the long run. You'll be surprised to learn that lung cancer is the least of your concerns.
11. Risk Factors, Screening, Treatment, and Prevention of Cancer
Cancer prevention, screening, and treatment are three important steps in helping to beat back this devastating condition. We will discuss them, as well as the common risk factors for cancer, in this lesson.
12. What is Nutrition?
Nutrition is the process of taking in nutrients from the foods you eat. Learn about the six nutrients needed for energy, maintenance of tissues and regulation of bodily processes: carbohydrates, fats, proteins, water, vitamins and minerals.
13. How to Find Sources of Reliable Nutrition Information
There is a lot of nutritional information available through the Internet and other media outlets, so how do you find reliable sources of nutritional information? Follow along to find out and learn how to protect yourself from false claims.
14. How to Read Food Labels: Understanding Claims & Components
The nutritional facts label provides information about the nutrient content of a food item. Learn about the components found on the label, as well as additional nutrient content claims and health claims that food manufacturers can add to packaging in this lesson.
15. Healthy Diet Planning Guidelines: Nutrients & Food Groups
The USDA and Health and Human Services developed dietary guidelines for Americans that outline diet and lifestyle recommendations. Learn how these guidelines, along with the USDA food guides, can be used to help you develop a healthy eating plan in this video lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Health & Physical Education - Content Knowledge (5857): Practice & Study Guide course
- Health Programs in Education
- Health Models, Theories & Data
- Physical Fitness Overview
- Injury Prevention & Personal Safety
- Healthy Relationships & Effective Communication
- Human Body Overview
- Human Development
- Physiological Changes Throughout Life
- Mental, Emotional & Physical Disorders
- Environmental Health Issues
- Community Health & Advocacy
- Health Careers & Community Agencies
- Physical Education Programs
- Supporting Student Development in Physical Education
- Using Collaboration, Reflection & Technology in PE
- Motor Skills & Movement Activities for PE
- Kinesiology & Biomechanics
- Sports & Recreational Activities for PE
- Curriculum & Instruction for Physical Education
- Instructional Techniques & Strategies
- Communication in the Physical Education Classroom
- Assessment & Data in Physical Education
- Student Assessment in Special Education
- Praxis Health & Physical Education: Content Knowledge Flashcards