About This Chapter
Healthcare-Associated Infections - Chapter Summary
Get an overview of healthcare-associated infections with this convenient online nursing chapter. The chapter includes expertly taught lessons that examine the causes, symptoms and treatments for a variety of infections, such as ventilator-associated pneumonia, catheter-associated UTIs and central line-associated bloodstream infections. By the end of the chapter, you should be equipped to:
- Identify preventative measures for catheter-associated urinary tract infections
- Assess guidelines for ventilator-associated pneumonia treatment/prevention
- Recognize the symptoms of central line-associated bloodstream infections
- Evaluate the causes, symptoms and treatment for hypotension
The chapter's convenient online format helps you study at any time that fits your schedule. Your course dashboard will keep track of your progress, and our instructors are happy to answer any questions you may have. Each lesson comes with a short self-assessment quiz to help you strengthen your understanding of these types of infections.
1. Central Line-Associated Bloodstream Infection (CLABSI)
A central line-associated bloodstream infection can lead to serious illness and death. This lesson will discuss the causes of these infections and how they can be treated and prevented.
2. Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infections: Symptoms & Prevention
Urinary catheters allow a direct path for the transmission of germs. Read this lesson to learn about the symptoms of catheter-associated urinary tract infections and what you can do to prevent them.
3. Ventilator Associated Pneumonia: Definition & Guidelines
Ventilator associated pneumonia (VAP) is a preventable infection that sometimes occurs in ventilated patients in the hospital. The purpose of this module is to define VAP and discuss guidelines on how to prevent and treat VAP.
4. Ventilator Associated Pneumonia: Treatment & Prevention
Ventilator Associated Pneumonia (VAP) is a preventable infection that occurs in the hospital and increases hospital stays. The purpose of this lesson is to review VAP and discuss how it is treated and how it can be prevented.
5. What Is Hypotension? - Definition, Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
Hypotension is low blood pressure - a condition we hear a lot less about compared to high blood pressure. Learn what causes blood pressure to drop, what the symptoms are, and what kinds of treatment options exist for this condition.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AACN CCRN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Patient Assessment & Diagnostics
- Medication Management for Nursing
- Nursing Procedures & Emergency Response
- Acute Coronary Syndromes & Cardiovascular Emergencies
- Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases
- Understanding Heart Disease & Failure
- Understanding Defects & Disorders of the Heart
- Cardiovascular Nursing Actions
- Acute Respiratory Conditions
- Chronic Respiratory Conditions
- Thoracic Injury & Trauma
- Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions
- Pulmonary Nursing Actions & Tools for Pulmonary Procedures
- Understanding Endocrine Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Nursing Actions
- Understanding Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Nursing Actions
- Understanding Renal Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Renal Problems
- Understanding Integumentary Disorders
- Integumentary Nursing Actions
- Musculoskeletal Disorders & Nursing Actions
- Understanding Neurological Disorders
- Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Neurological Nursing Actions
- Understanding Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders for Nurses
- Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions
- Multisystem Clinical Judgments in Nursing
- Understanding Sepsis & Shock
- Sedation Nursing Actions
- Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing