About This Chapter
Healthy Lifestyle Choices - Chapter Summary
Leading a quality life requires making a multitude of healthy decisions, including maintaining a healthy diet, participating in physical activity and avoiding unnecessary risks. This chapter explores steps individuals can take to ensure their lifestyle choices are always healthy. Lessons define key concepts and provide in-depth explanations and examples. When finished, you will have the knowledge to:
- Define and identify the dimensions of health and wellness
- Explain lifestyle decisions, behaviors and prevention methods that contribute to personal wellness
- List habits, behaviors and resources that aid in making healthy nutritional choices
- Discuss consequences for different risk behaviors and strategies for behavioral change
- Describe brain development in teens that can lead to risky behaviors
To enhance your understanding of healthy lifestyle choices, review these lessons in any sequence and as often as needed. Access them from any computer, smartphone or tablet to ensure you're able to study from home or on the go. Gauge your understanding of lesson concepts by taking short multiple-choice quizzes. Any questions you have about this chapter's topics can be submitted to our experts.
1. Health & Wellness: Definition and Dimensions
Health and wellness are connected but have different dimensions. Understand what it means to be healthy and happy, explore the definitions of health, wellness, and risk factors, and examine the types and dimensions of wellness and how these dimensions interact.
2. Lifestyle Choices and Personal Wellness: Decisions, Behavior & Prevention
Lifestyle choices are decisions that are made to increase or decrease one's personal wellness. Discover what it means to make the right decisions to engage in the right behaviors, thereby increasing the quality of one's life and preventing disease.
3. Making Healthy Nutritional Choices: Habits, Behaviors & Resources
Making healthy nutritional choices involves making sometimes simple diet and behavior changes to stop bad habits, and often researching food alternatives, as well. Explore how to change a diet to one filled with healthy choices for meals, and how to find resources.
4. Risk Behavior and Strategies for Behavioral Change: Focus, Impact & Change
Strategies for behavioral change are the methods used to address and change personal risk behaviors that pose imminent bodily harm. Learn about the types of risk behaviors and common strategies for behavioral change; focus, impact, and change.
5. Decision Making and Risk Taking Behaviors in Adolescence
In adolescence, the brain hasn't fully developed yet, which can be a factor for teenagers to often behave in reckless ways. Explore how brain development leads to risky behaviors and poor decision-making in adolescence, including the brain systems involved and the evolutionary reason for risk-taking in adolescents.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the General Studies Health Science: Help & Review course