About This Chapter
Healthy Platonic & Sexual Relationships - Chapter Summary
People develop many different types of relationships. These lessons provide an overview of the characteristics associated with healthy relationships of both the platonic and sexual varieties. Studying our materials couldn't be simpler, thanks to our user-friendly mobile platform. We give you a user dashboard to monitor your activities on the site and to keep track of your quiz scores. The dashboard also offers suggestions on other chapters you may want to review. You can look up any topic in the search windows, and the search results will offer you direct links to courses, chapters, or lessons.
As an added bonus, since we keep all the information for you, you never have to worry about losing your notes or lugging around a backpack full of books. After you take the time to go through this health chapter, you should have the skills to do the following:
- Check out the maintenance needs and development of successful relationships
- Define different types of communication skills and how to improve them
- Examine characteristics of love relationships and their development
- Explain the differences between gender and sexuality
- Point out the physiology, functions, and features of sexual anatomy
- Review causes of miscarriage and methods for abortion
- Show major concerns associated with pregnancy planning
1. Successful Relationships: Characteristics, Development & Maintenance
Be it work, friends, or family, making a relationship work is hard. Creating a solid relationship isn't much easier. This lesson will point out the characteristics of solid relationships and some advice for developing and maintaining them.
2. Improving Communication Skills: Self-Disclosure, Listening & Non-Verbal Communication
Self-disclosure, listening, and nonverbal communication are three important conversation strategies people use. This lesson will discuss what they are, how they may be interpreted, and some tips for improving them.
3. Love Relationships: Their Characteristics & How They Develop
Here we look at the development of love. What does it mean to be in a loving relationship? What are the steps that occur in every individual in entering one?
4. Sexuality & Gender: Difference & Definitions
This lesson defines many important concepts, including sexual identity, sexual orientation, sexual preference, gender identity, gender preference, gender adoption, and gender identification. We also go over the three forms of sexual orientation.
5. Human Sexual Anatomy & Physiology: Major Features & Functions
This lesson provides an important overview of the major male and female reproductive structures, functions, and hormones. We'll learn about everything from semen and testosterone to estrogen and the vulva.
6. Abortion and Miscarriage: Methods and Causes
This lesson will teach you whether exercise can cause a miscarriage, what the major cause of miscarriage is, and what the two major classes of abortion are.
7. Key Issues When Planning A Pregnancy
When planning a pregnancy, important things must be considered to ensure maximum safety of both mother and child. This includes taking an assessment of your medications, supplements, medical conditions, and habits.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 101: Principles of Health course
- Health and Wellness Fundamentals
- Psychosocial Disorders & Mental Health
- Stress Risks & Disorders
- Drugs & Addictive Behavior
- Impact of Alcohol & Tobacco on Health
- Substance Use Risks & Disorders
- Understanding Nutrition in Health
- Fitness & Weight in Personal Health
- Personal Health for Aging Populations
- Understanding Death & Bereavement
- Heart, Lung & Endocrine System Health
- Understanding Cancer Risks & Treatment
- Immune Disorders & Infections
- Understanding Diabetes & Genetic Disorders
- Environmental Health Basics
- Pollution & Environmental Issues
- Violence, Injury & Personal Safety
- Making Smart Health Care Choices
- Studying for Health 101