About This Chapter
Heart Disease & Heart Failure - Chapter Summary
As you work through this chapter, you will learn what causes heart disease, the impact of lifestyle choices, and how this illness is diagnosed and treated. You will also study the symptoms, causes, diagnosis and treatment of congestive heart failure in humans and pets.
This powerful study tool is designed to provide you with comprehensive and well-researched information in short, easy-to-digest doses. Lesson quizzes and a chapter test help you measure your progress and check your retention and mastery of the material, while our expert instructors are available if you require assistance. Lesson topics include:
- Definition, statistics, symptoms, and signs of heart disease
- Types of heart disease and treatment options, causes and prevention
- Heart disease risk factors, connection to alcohol and tobacco
- Occurrence of heart disease in men and women
- Causes and definition of congestive heart failure
- Symptoms, stages, and diagnosis of congestive heart failure
- Treatment and complications of congestive heart failure, and occurrence in cats and dogs
1. Heart Disease: Definition & Statistics
Do you know what heart disease really is? Here's a hint: it's not one disease. There's more to it. Find out what it really is and some staggering statistics about it in this lesson.
2. Heart Disease: Signs & Symptoms
Heart disease is a term that covers a very wide range of conditions that affect the heart and the blood vessels in the heart. In this lesson we will look at some general signs and symptoms and some that relate to an identified disease.
3. Heart Disease: Pathophysiology & Diagnosis
In this lesson, we will review the various types of heart disease and the causes of them. We will also look at how a physician determines if someone does or does not have heart disease.
4. Heart Disease: Types & Treatment
Heart disease is a term that covers a very wide range of conditions that affect the heart and the blood vessels in the heart. In this lesson we will look closer at the types of heart disease and the treatments options.
5. Coronary vs. Congenital Heart Disease
Your heart is like a pump. But like a pump, it can suffer from various faults. This lesson defines and contrasts two forms of heart disease. One is known as coronary artery disease and the other is called congenital heart disease.
6. Heart Disease: Causes & Prevention
Heart disease is a big term that refers to diseases affecting the heart. This lesson explores the causes and types of heart diseases, as well as the various preventative measures we can take to avoid them.
7. Heart Disease in Women & Men
Heart disease affects millions of men and women. In this lesson, we'll discuss what heart disease is, the various types of heart disease, and how the disease affects men and women differently.
8. Heart Disease: Risk Factors & Early Signs
Heart disease includes many different disorders. This lesson will go over the major risk factors for heart disease and some of the most important early signs of it.
9. Heart Disease Risks: Alcohol & Tobacco
This lesson will define heart disease and explain the role that atherosclerosis plays in developing heart disease. This lesson will also discuss the risk factors of smoking and alcohol on developing heart disease.
10. Congestive Heart Failure: Definition & Causes
In this lesson we will review the definition and causes of congestive heart failure. We will also identify some of its identifying symptoms and discuss how patients can manage their risk of developing the disease.
11. Congestive Heart Failure: Diagnosis & Prognosis
When a person is diagnosed with CHF, there are several points to remember in order to obtain the best prognosis of the disease. In this lesson, we will explore the diagnostic criteria for CHF as well as several crucial lifestyle changes to improve the course of the disease.
12. Congestive Heart Failure: Symptoms & Stages
In this lesson we will learn about congestive heart failure, the symptoms associated with it, and the different stages and the meaning of each. Congestive heart failure is sometimes known as CHF or heart failure and these terms are used interchangeability.
13. Congestive Heart Failure: Treatment & Complications
Your grandfather has congestive heart failure. You are wondering what his treatment options are and how you can help. In this lesson we will look at the treatment options for someone who has congestive heart failure and also what kind of complications they may face.
14. Congestive Heart Failure in Dogs & Cats
In this lesson we'll be learning about congestive heart failure in dogs and cats. Get a better understanding of what congestive heart failure is, its symptoms, and its treatments for pets.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the First Aid & CPR Training for Health Professionals course
- Responding to Emergencies
- Rescue Techniques & Methods
- Air Embolisms & Cardiac Arrhythmia
- Recognizing & Treating Angina
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Understanding Strokes
- Preventing & Treating Strokes
- Ischemic, Hemorrhagic & Mini Strokes
- Massive, Mild & Silent Strokes
- Dealing with Heat Stroke
- Blood Clot Types & Complications
- Blood Clot Sites
- Acidosis, Alkalosis & Polycythemia
- Hypercapnia, Hypercarbia, & Hypoxia
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Pneumonia & Pneumothorax
- Conditions of the Lungs
- Bell's Palsy
- Conditions of the Brain
- Understanding & Treating Brain Aneurysms
- Understanding & Treating Heartburn
- Diagnosing & Treating Coughs
- Dealing with Allergies & Pests