About This Chapter
Heart, Lung & Endocrine System Health - Chapter Summary
The heart, lungs and endocrine system are the targets of various conditions and diseases. Using this chapter, you'll develop a deeper understanding of these specific diseases and strategies for preventing and treating them. Video lessons contain helpful illustrations and examples to make the learning experience more fun and effective, and you can take self-assessment quizzes after each lesson to determine how much you've learned about each topic. Upon completion of this chapter, you will have a better understanding of:
- The parts and functions of the circulatory system
- How the cardiovascular system changes as we age
- What some common heart conditions and diseases are
- The causes and treatments of thromboemboli
- Types and risk factors of cardiovascular disease and ways to prevent it
- How cardiovascular disease is diagnosed and treated
- What some common respiratory diseases are
- What is involved in the development of endocrine diseases
1. The Human Circulatory System: Parts and Functions
In this lesson, you will take a ride on the transportation system of the body called the circulatory system and its two parts: the pulmonary circuit and the systemic circuit. Take a look inside and see how every inch of your body receives the oxygen and nutrients it needs.
2. Age-Related Changes to the Cardiovascular System: Types & Effects
The heart is one of those organs that's really difficult to live without since it is responsible for moving blood throughout your body. In this lesson, we'll explore some of the issues that can happen to the heart and the cardiovascular system.
3. Types of Heart Conditions and Diseases
Your heart muscle receives a rich blood supply from the coronary arteries. If the coronary arteries become blocked, it can result in coronary heart disease, angina, heart attack or congestive heart failure. Learn how these conditions get started.
4. Thromboemboli: Definition, Causes & Treatments
Thromboemboli are blood clots that form within blood vessels and then circulate through the bloodstream. Learn about the problems associated with these blood clots as well as what causes them and how they are treated.
5. Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors & Preventative Strategies
This lesson will describe for you the numerous controllable and uncontrollable risk factors associated with cardiovascular disease as well as important preventative strategies to maximize your health.
6. Different Kinds of Cardiovascular Disease: Definitions & Examples
So many problems can occur in the cardiovascular system of your body. Some of them mainly involve the heart and others the blood vessels, but one big one involves both at the same time!
7. Diagnosing and Treating Cardiovascular Disease
This lesson will describe the many different ways cardiovascular diseases can be diagnosed and treated. For example, you'll learn the differences between angioplasty and angiography.
8. Important Respiratory Diseases: Obstructive, Restrictive & Infective
This lesson will discuss the different categories of respiratory diseases, including infectious, obstructive, and restrictive. Examples of each category will also be discussed.
9. Common Endocrine Diseases, Related Hormones & Their Effects
This lesson discusses seven endocrine diseases as well as the hormones involved. Specifically, we explore diabetes mellitus, Addison's disease, Cushing's syndrome, hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, hyperparathyroidism, and hypoparathyroidism.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Health 101: Principles of Health course
- Health and Wellness Fundamentals
- Psychosocial Disorders & Mental Health
- Stress Risks & Disorders
- Drugs & Addictive Behavior
- Impact of Alcohol & Tobacco on Health
- Substance Use Risks & Disorders
- Healthy Platonic & Sexual Relationships
- Understanding Nutrition in Health
- Fitness & Weight in Personal Health
- Personal Health for Aging Populations
- Understanding Death & Bereavement
- Understanding Cancer Risks & Treatment
- Immune Disorders & Infections
- Understanding Diabetes & Genetic Disorders
- Environmental Health Basics
- Pollution & Environmental Issues
- Violence, Injury & Personal Safety
- Making Smart Health Care Choices
- Studying for Health 101