About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering setting material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the use of setting within the Heart of Darkness. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing details about the time period and setting within Heart of Darkness
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Heart of Darkness Setting chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Heart of Darkness Setting chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about setting of Heart of Darkness for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- The relationship between the time period and setting of the novel
- Analysis of the use of setting in the text
- An examination of the Central Station
- Interpreting the steamboat setting
- Identify the significance of the Congo River
1. Heart of Darkness: Setting & Time Period
In this lesson, you'll learn about the time period and setting of Joseph Conrad's novel, 'Heart of Darkness.' You'll also see how the setting plays into overall themes in the novel.
2. Heart of Darkness Setting Analysis
In this lesson, you will learn about the settings in Joseph Conrad's 'Heart of Darkness.' We will explore three main settings used in this story and then analyze them for any deeper meaning.
3. Central Station in Heart of Darkness
In ''Heart of Darkness,'' there are several trading posts where Marlow stops. In this lesson you'll learn about Central Station, where he stayed the longest, and its role in the novel as a whole.
4. Steamboat in Heart of Darkness
In Joseph Conrad's 'Heart of Darkness', Marlow spends more time on the steamboat than anywhere else. In this lesson, you'll learn about the significance of the steamboat in the novel.
5. Congo River in Heart of Darkness
In this lesson, you'll learn about the Congo River as it appears in Joseph Conrad's 'Heart of Darkness.' This includes its importance to the characters and the plot, as well as what it symbolizes.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.