About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering Heart of Darkness material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to summarize Heart of Darkness. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing characters and events from Heart of Darkness
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Heart of Darkness Summaries chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Heart of Darkness Summaries chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about Heart of Darkness for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- An introduction to Heart of Darkness
- Summaries, quotes and analyses of Heart of Darkness Parts I, II, and III
- Conflicts from the novel
1. Heart of Darkness Introduction
Ever since its publication in the early 20th century, Joseph Conrad's semi-autobiographical ''Heart of Darkness'' has been both praised and criticized, but it is still recognized as one of the most influential and eye opening works of modern English literature. Let's have a look at how it got there.
2. Heart of Darkness Part 1: Summary & Quotes
This lesson provides an overview of the first part of Joseph Conrad's novella, Heart of Darkness. In the first section of this story we meet its main characters and become familiar with its major plot elements.
3. Heart of Darkness Part 2: Summary & Analysis
This lesson provides an overview of the part two of Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. In this section of the novella, Marlow finally embarks on his journey up the river to fetch Kurtz.
4. Heart of Darkness Part 3 Summary
In part 3 of Joseph Conrad's 'Heart of Darkness' we learn more of the story of Kurtz, a man who operates without any apparent restraint. He rules over the natives, plunders the land, and burdens Marlow with keeping his papers and his memory.
5. Heart of Darkness Conflict
Conflict can appear in many different forms in literature. Conflict serves to advance the plot of the story as well as reveal theme. In this lesson you'll look at the different kinds of conflict that appear in Joseph Conrad's novel ''Heart of Darkness.''
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.