About This Chapter
Health-Related Products & Services - Chapter Summary
Learn about the various healthcare delivery options, such as hospitals and clinics, and the different styles of health care systems in use around the world. This chapter will teach you about private and public health insurance including Medicare, and Medicaid. Our experienced instructors will also guide you through lessons on the following topics:
- Health maintenance activities
- The physical examination
- Consumer health laws and agencies
- Over-the-counter medications
These brief and engaging video lessons are packed with the information you need about health products and services. Each lesson comes with an interactive timeline that will take you straight to the major video-topic of your choice. It also comes with a lesson transcript that links to related content so you can expand your contextual understanding of the material.
1. Types of Healthcare Professionals & Delivery Systems
Healthcare professionals take on many different roles to deliver quality patient care. Not only do healthcare workers provide care in the hospital settings, but they also work in several other care delivery systems. This lesson will describe various healthcare roles and the variety of delivery systems in which they work.
2. Types of Health Care: HMOs, PPOs, Socialized Medicine & Direct-Fee System
In this lesson, we discuss health care as a social institution and how health care systems differ worldwide. We also discuss several different ways that health care is paid for by patients, organizations and government.
3. Health Insurance and Health Care: Overview, Roles & Regulations
This lesson will explain the major aspects of health insurance and its role in your health care costs. We will discuss premiums, deductibles, coinsurance, copays, and more!
4. Medicare and Medicaid: Definitions & Functions
This lesson will teach and define what Medicare and Medicaid are, what they are for, what they provide, and for whom they were established for. We'll also cover the four main parts of Medicare.
5. Health Maintenance: Activities & Benefits
Do you go to the doctor or dentist? I sure hope so! If you do, do you know why? If not, no worries. Read this lesson to find out the many benefits of some important health maintenance activities.
6. Your Physical Exam: Purpose & Major Components
The physical exam is one of the most important tools at your doctor's disposal. Find out why, as well as what the major components of this critical test actually are.
7. Consumer Health: Laws, Regulations & Agencies
In this lesson we will look at a brief history of laws protecting consumer health, current laws, and agencies involved in consumer protection in the United States.
8. GRAS & GRAE: Safety & Efficacy of Over-the-Counter (OTC) Medications
This lesson will explain what the term 'generally recognized as safe and effective' (GRASE, GRAS/E, GRASE/GRAE) means and how that is determined. We will also discuss over-the-counter medication approval.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Health EC-12 (157): Practice & Study Guide course
- Human Body Systems
- Maintaining Healthy Body Systems
- Prenatal and Human Development
- Nutritional Disorders
- Physical Fitness
- Communicable Diseases
- Noncommunicable Diseases
- Understanding the Immune System
- Emotional & Mental Health
- Families & Family Issues
- Health & Healthy Relationships
- Sexuality & Health
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Safety, Accidents & Emergencies
- Alcohol, Tobacco & Other Drugs
- Substance Abuse & Addiction
- Community & Environmental Health
- Health Skills & Resources
- Health Education
- TExES Health EC-12 Flashcards