About This Chapter
Helping Relationships in Counseling - Chapter Summary
View short lessons that can help you remember the qualities of a good counselor, as well as other subjects linked to helping relationships in counseling. You can also look forward to discovering information about the following:
- Verbal communication in counseling
- History and stages of the consultation process in counseling
- Main consultation models
Quizzes conclude each lesson. The chapter is self-paced and mobile-friendly. Click the Help tab to send your questions to the instructors, whether they're in reference to the lessons or the quizzes.
1. Personal Qualities of an Effective Counselor
This lesson will introduce the positive and negative motivators for becoming a counselor. We will also look at some of the characteristics of an effective counselor and some essential microskills counselors must possess.
2. Verbal & Nonverbal Communication in Counseling
Did you know that verbal and nonverbal communication are both important components of counseling? In this lesson, we will learn about verbal and nonverbal communication from examples.
3. Major Consultation Models in Counseling
This lesson discusses elements of counseling consultation and the models of consulting utilized. Three models - mental health, behavioral and organizational - are outlined along with how the consultation findings are presented.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NCE Exam: Study Guide & Practice course
- Human Growth & Development in Psychology
- Learning & Personality Development
- Abnormal Development in Psychology
- Fundamental Issues in Counseling
- Social & Cultural Diversity in Counseling
- Identity Theory & Development
- The Process of Counseling
- Counseling Theories
- Psychoanalytic Theories
- Family Systems in Counseling
- School Counseling
- Overview of Group Counseling
- Counseling Career Development
- Counseling Assessments
- Diagnostic & Assessment Services in Counseling
- Counseling Research & Program Evaluation
- The History of Counseling and Psychotherapy
- Professional Counseling Orientation & Practice
- Ethical and Legal Issues in Counseling
- NCE Exam Flashcards