About This Chapter
Hematologic, Immunologic & Oncologic Disorders - Chapter Summary
This engaging chapter presents information about oncologic, hematologic and immunologic disorders. In these lessons, you'll study different types of anemia, the progression of cancer and various immune deficiency diseases. Once this chapter is complete, you should be able to do the following:
- Explain what causes anemia
- Detail the treatments associated with coagulopathies
- Describe the different types of immune deficiency diseases
- Provide information about the risk factors and screening processes for cancer
- Outline the grading and staging of the progression of cancer
- Identify general strategies for the treatment of cancer
Study even the most complicated topics with ease with the help of our learning materials. These short, informative lessons are accompanied by multiple-choice quizzes to test your comprehension as you move through the chapter. To make sure you have access to this information whenever you need it, our learning materials are accessible 24 hours a day on your mobile device or computer.
1. Anemia: Types and Causes
Your red blood cells have a unique design that differentiates them from all other cells. This unique design makes them exceptional oxygen carriers. But if this ability to carry oxygen is compromised, the result is a form of anemia, such as pernicious anemia, aplastic anemia or sickle cell anemia.
2. Coagulopathies: Types, Causes & Treatment
A coagulopathy is a bleeding disorder that causes excessive bleeding or excessive clotting of the blood. This lesson will discuss the types, causes, and treatments of different coagulopathies.
3. Immune Deficiency Diseases: Definitions & Types
This lesson will teach you about the immune system, what immune deficiency means, why that's dangerous, and about the important causes of such a problem, including HIV/AIDS, SCID, CVID, and more.
4. Risk Factors, Screening, Treatment, and Prevention of Cancer
Cancer prevention, screening, and treatment are three important steps in helping to beat back this devastating condition. We will discuss them, as well as the common risk factors for cancer, in this lesson.
5. The Progression of Cancer: Grading, Staging & Diagnosis
This lesson will discuss the way by which cancer is diagnosed, graded, and staged. We'll talk about what staging and grading actually mean and how and why cancers may be high or low in grade.
6. The General Treatment Strategies For Cancer
This lesson will describe the three traditional methods of treating cancer. These include surgery, radiation therapy, and chemotherapy as well as their potential uses, benefits, and side-effects. We'll also touch on other ways by which we can treat cancer.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AACN PCCN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Acute Coronary & Inflammatory Diseases of the Heart
- Acute & Chronic Heart Diseases & Conditions
- Understanding Dysrhythmias
- Understanding Heart Defects & Failure
- Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases
- Cardiovascular Assessment & Disease Monitoring in Nursing
- Cardiovascular Nursing Actions for Patient Management
- Cardiovascular Surgical Interventions & Emergencies in Nursing
- Cardiovascular Medication Administration in Nursing
- Acute Respiratory Conditions
- Understanding Chronic Respiratory Conditions
- Pleural Space Abnormalities
- Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions
- Pulmonary Nursing Actions for Patient Management
- Endocrine Disorders Overview
- Nursing Actions for Endocrine Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Hematology, Immunology & Oncology Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Disorder Overview
- Nursing Actions for Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Overview of Renal Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Renal Disorders
- Neurological Disorders Overview
- Nursing Actions for Neurological Disorders
- Overview of Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders
- Overview of Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions
- Multisystem Clinical Judgments
- Understanding Sepsis & Shock
- Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing