About This Chapter
Hematology & Immunology Disorders - Chapter Summary
This chapter provides a basic overview of hematology and immunity disorders. Follow along with our expert instructors to explore the causes and treatments of anemia, coagulopathy, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia and immune deficiency diseases. When you're finished working through the chapter, you should be able to:
- Differentiate between several anemia types
- Assess coagulopathy treatments
- Understand the causes of leukopenia and thrombocytopenia
- Evaluate different types of immune deficiency diseases
These lessons are accessible on any computer or mobile device, and you can revisit them whenever you need to brush up on these disorders. We've also included lesson quizzes and a chapter exam to help you solidify your understanding of the material. If you have any questions, you can submit them to our instructors online at any time.
1. Anemia: Types and Causes
Your red blood cells have a unique design that differentiates them from all other cells. This unique design makes them exceptional oxygen carriers. But if this ability to carry oxygen is compromised, the result is a form of anemia, such as pernicious anemia, aplastic anemia or sickle cell anemia.
2. Coagulopathies: Types, Causes & Treatment
A coagulopathy is a bleeding disorder that causes excessive bleeding or excessive clotting of the blood. This lesson will discuss the types, causes, and treatments of different coagulopathies.
3. What is Leukopenia? - Causes & Types
Leukopenia is a decreased number of white blood cells. This can leave a person vulnerable to infections. Learn about the different types of leukopenia: neutropenia and lymphopenia and their causes.
4. What is Thrombocytopenia? - Definition, Causes & Treatment
Thrombocytopenia is a blood disorder in which there are too few platelets in the blood. This results in problems with blood clotting. Learn about the causes of thrombocytopenia as well as treatment options.
5. Immune Deficiency Diseases: Definitions & Types
This lesson will teach you about the immune system, what immune deficiency means, why that's dangerous, and about the important causes of such a problem, including HIV/AIDS, SCID, CVID, and more.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AACN CCRN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Patient Assessment & Diagnostics
- Medication Management for Nursing
- Nursing Procedures & Emergency Response
- Acute Coronary Syndromes & Cardiovascular Emergencies
- Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases
- Understanding Heart Disease & Failure
- Understanding Defects & Disorders of the Heart
- Cardiovascular Nursing Actions
- Acute Respiratory Conditions
- Chronic Respiratory Conditions
- Thoracic Injury & Trauma
- Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions
- Pulmonary Nursing Actions & Tools for Pulmonary Procedures
- Understanding Endocrine Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Nursing Actions
- Understanding Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Nursing Actions
- Understanding Renal Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Renal Problems
- Understanding Integumentary Disorders
- Integumentary Nursing Actions
- Musculoskeletal Disorders & Nursing Actions
- Understanding Neurological Disorders
- Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Neurological Nursing Actions
- Understanding Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders for Nurses
- Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions
- Multisystem Clinical Judgments in Nursing
- Understanding Sepsis & Shock
- Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Sedation Nursing Actions
- Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing