About This Chapter
HESI Admission Assessment Exam: 3D Shapes - Chapter Summary
You'll find short, easy-to-follow video lessons on 3D shapes in this chapter that you can access any time. Here you'll watch videos on the surface area and volume of 3D shapes as well as the definition of different shapes including spheres, cones and pyramids to help prepare you for related questions on the HESI Admission Assessment exam. Once you complete this chapter, you should be able to:
- Give examples of 3D shapes
- Find the surface area of a cube and a rectangular prism
- Calculate the volume of a cube
- Find the volume of a rectangular prism
- Identify the area and volume of a cylinder
- Explain how to find the area and volume of a cone, sphere and pyramid
Even if these subjects have been challenging for you in the past, our video lessons are designed to make learning and reviewing 3D shapes easy. Use the video tabs feature to go back or jump forward as needed to maximize your studying for your exam. You can reach out to one of our experts through the Dashboard with any questions that come up.
1. What are 3D Shapes? - Definition & Examples
What's the difference between 2D and 3D shapes? Learn the answer to this question in this lesson. You will also explore what makes spheres and cubes 3D shapes.
2. How to Find Surface Area of a Cube and a Rectangular Prism
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to use the formula for the surface area of a rectangular prism. You will know what measurements you need to use it and how you can apply it to a cube as well.
3. How to Calculate the Volume of a Cube: Formula & Practice
In this lesson, you will explore the formula used to calculate the volume of a cube. You will also gain a conceptual understanding of volume and appropriate units to use. Then test your knowledge in a brief quiz.
4. Finding the Volume of a Rectangular Prism
Many shapes in our world, such as cereal boxes and bricks, are rectangular prisms. Often, we have to know how much volume a rectangular prism takes up. In this lesson, learn how to calculate the volume of a rectangular prism.
5. What Are Cylinders? - Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn why soda cans are cylinders and the method by which you can discover how much soda can fit inside by finding the volume. You will also learn about finding a cylinder's surface area.
6. Pyramids: Definition, Area & Volume
Do you think of the great pyramids of Egypt when you hear the word pyramids? Watch this video lesson to learn why they are called pyramids and also how to find their surface area and volume.
7. Spheres: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can find the surface area and volume of spheres. Learn the formulas and measurements you need to solve problems and discover how to identify spheres in the real world.
8. Cones: Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn where in the real world you will see cones. Also, you will learn the formulas for finding the surface area and volume of these cones.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HESI Admission Assessment (A2) Exam course
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Reading Comprehension
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Health Care Vocabulary
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Punctuation
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Grammar
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Math Skills
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Factors & Multiples
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Solving Equations
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Linear Equations, Inequalities & Functions
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Geometry Basics
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Probability, Ratios & Proportions
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Anatomy and Physiology
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Biology
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Chemistry
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Physics
- HESI Admission Assessment Flashcards