About This Chapter
HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Math Skills - Chapter Summary
These lessons and quizzes can help you review key math skills for the HESI Admission Assessment Exam. Brush up on performing basic math, including addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, as well as adding and subtracting unlike fractions and mixed numbers. You'll also review multiplying and dividing fractions and mixed numbers. After completing this chapter, you should know how to:
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide with decimal notation
- Convert and calculate decimals, fractions and percentages
- Detail commutative, associative and distributive number properties
- Define exponents and roots
- Explain order of operations
- Outline ratios and rates
- Find the unit rate
- Discuss the rules of scientific notation
Our knowledgeable instructors explain lesson topics in a way that is easy to understand and remember. Watch the lessons as many times as you need until you feel you've mastered the topics. The lessons quizzes and chapter exam give you a good idea of what to expect on the HESI Exam.
1. How to Perform Addition: Steps & Examples
Addition is one of the basic operations of math. You can say that the whole of mathematics is based on addition. Without addition, we wouldn't have higher math. Watch this video to learn how to add.
2. How to Perform Subtraction: Steps & Examples
Subtraction is one of the basic operations in math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can view and understand subtraction so that you can easily perform it.
3. How to Perform Multiplication: Steps & Examples
Multiplication, one of the basic operations of math, is important not just in elementary math but also in higher math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can multiply with ease.
4. How to Perform Division: Steps & Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can divide. Division is one of the basic operations of math. It is one of the fundamental operations that all higher mathematics depends upon.
5. How to Add and Subtract Unlike Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Simple fraction arithmetic gets a little more complicated when our denominators don't match. In this lesson, we'll learn how to add and subtract unlike fractions. Then, we'll do the same with mixed numbers.
6. Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Multiplying fractions is much more straightforward than adding, subtracting or dividing fractions. In this lesson, learn how it works. We'll also learn how to multiply mixed numbers.
7. Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Dividing fractions and mixed numbers? It sounds daunting, but it's not as tricky as it sounds. In this lesson, we'll learn how to divide fractions and mixed numbers.
8. Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, and Division with Decimal Notation
Performing operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division has some differences when there are decimals involved. This lesson will explain how to perform these operations all while keeping the decimals straight.
9. Calculating & Converting Percentages, Fractions & Decimals
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to convert between percentages, fractions, and decimals easily and quickly. Learn the steps you need to take for each type of conversion.
10. Number Properties: Commutative, Associative & Distributive
We often find ourselves using real number properties when working on math problems. These properties come in a variety of forms, but in this lesson we'll focus on learning about the commutative, associative, and distributive properties.
11. Exponents & Roots: Definition & Examples
Exponents and roots are used to make numbers much larger or much smaller. In this lesson, we'll learn how to work with exponents and roots. We'll practice a variety of problems involving both, including examples involving negative numbers.
12. Order Of Operations: Definition, Problems & Examples
In this lesson, we'll discuss order of operations. We'll look at what the order is, how some people remember it, and one of the most common misconceptions people have regarding it.
13. Ratios & Rates: Definitions & Examples
If we have two items, or two numbers, and we want to compare them, what language can we use? How do we write the comparison? Find out as we learn about ratios and rates in this lesson.
14. How to Find the Unit Rate
If we are going to use math to predict outcomes, one of the most useful measures we can establish is the unit rate of change. In this lesson, you'll learn how to find the rate of change and apply the formula to real-life examples.
15. What Is Scientific Notation? - Definition, Rules & Examples
Scientific notation is part of the language of math and science and allows us to deal with a vast array of numbers, large and small. Learn more about what it is, why it's important, and how to use it.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HESI Admission Assessment (A2) Exam course
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Reading Comprehension
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Health Care Vocabulary
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Punctuation
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Grammar
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Factors & Multiples
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Solving Equations
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Linear Equations, Inequalities & Functions
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Geometry Basics
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: 3D Shapes
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Probability, Ratios & Proportions
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Anatomy and Physiology
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Biology
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Chemistry
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Physics
- HESI Admission Assessment Flashcards