About This Chapter
HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Biology - Chapter Summary
Get ready for the HESI Admission Assessment Exam Biology subtest with these chapter resources. You'll study topics like the defining characteristics of living organisms, cells and their organelles, genetics, respiration and photosynthesis. Once you complete this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Identify the role of water in human biology
- Discuss the major elements in biological molecules
- Outline the differences between RNA and DNA
- Explain what an organism is
- Describe taxonomy and the classification and naming of living things
- Compare the stages and steps of mitosis and meiosis
- Detail the properties and applications of polymers
- Point out the classification and life cycle of viruses
Each of these short lessons will get you up to speed on key biology topics in a short period of time. Lessons last about seven minutes on average, and can be watched as often as you'd like. Get an idea of the types of questions you can expect on the HESI Biology Exam with lesson quizzes and the chapter exam.
1. The Defining Characteristics of Living Organisms
A house is not a living thing, but the people, animals, and plants living inside it are. So how do we define 'life'? Learn about seven characteristics that all living organisms have in common, no matter how different they may look on the outside.
2. What are Cells? - Overview
All living organisms are made up of cells, but do you know what a cell is? In this lesson, you can learn about the three main structures that all cells contain and about the two major types of cells.
3. Organelles in Cells: Definition & Functions
This lesson will focus on the major organelles that are found inside eukaryotic cells. It will discuss their structures and functions. The differences in organelles found in plant and animal cells will also be covered.
4. Genetics: Heredity, Traits & Chromosomes
We view manipulation of genes in our crops and livestock as a recent development. Yet, man has been manipulating the genetic makeup of his food for thousands of years through cultivation and breeding. This lesson will begin to help you understand how genetics works.
5. What is Respiration? - Definition, Process & Equation
Respiration is a metabolic process common to all living things. Here, you will learn the definition, location, processes, and formula for cellular respiration. At the end, you can test your knowledge with a short quiz.
6. Photosynthesis: Definition & Reactions
Some people may falsely assume plants to be weaker than animals. However, plants and a few other organisms harness light energy from the sun to feed the rest of us. This lesson will introduce you to how they do it.
7. The Role of Water in Human Biology
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain why water is so important, and describe the five main functions of water in the human body. A short quiz will follow.
8. Major Elements in Biological Molecules: Proteins, Nucleic Acids, Carbohydrates & Lipids
Bacterial cells have complex macromolecules built from simple molecules. In this lesson, we will look at the major elements in the building blocks of proteins, nucleic acids, carbohydrates, and lipids.
9. Differences Between RNA and DNA & Types of RNA (mRNA, tRNA & rRNA)
In this lesson, you'll explore RNA structure and learn the central dogma of molecular biology. Along the way, you'll meet the three types of RNA and see how the cell uses them most effectively.
10. Organism: Definition & Explanation
An organism is any living thing. There are millions of organisms, so how do scientists organize them all? Learn more about the diversity of life on Earth and how scientists classify them, then take a quiz to test your knowledge!
11. Taxonomy: Classification and Naming of Living Things
The name you give to a living thing may be completely different than the name someone else uses. In science, we use a common naming system for all living things to avoid confusion. This lesson will explore the basics of our classification system.
12. What is Mitosis? - Definition, Stages & Function
Every day your body cells are dividing using a process called mitosis. This allows you to grow and replace damaged or worn out cells. Learn about the stages of mitosis: prophase, metaphase, anaphase and telophase.
13. What is Meiosis? - Steps & Results
It's meiosis that gives us the male and female reproductive cells known as the egg and sperm. In meiosis, two cell divisions take place, which produces four genetically unique cells with half the number of chromosomes as the parent cell.
14. What Are Polymers? - Properties, Applications & Examples
Polymers are huge molecules that are encountered in nature as well as in our modern technology. This lesson introduces students to polymers, their properties, and some of the many ways polymers are found in the modern world.
15. Viruses: Definition, Classification & Life Cycle
From the common cold to HIV, viruses can be an annoyance, and even have the potential to kill you. This lesson will define what a virus is, describe how scientists classify them and will give an overview of the virus life cycle.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HESI Admission Assessment (A2) Exam course
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Reading Comprehension
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Health Care Vocabulary
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Punctuation
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Grammar
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Math Skills
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Factors & Multiples
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Solving Equations
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Linear Equations, Inequalities & Functions
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Geometry Basics
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: 3D Shapes
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Probability, Ratios & Proportions
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Anatomy and Physiology
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Chemistry
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Physics
- HESI Admission Assessment Flashcards