About This Chapter
HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Grammar - Chapter Summary
Get up to speed on grammar for the HESI Admission Assessment Exam with these video lessons and quizzes. This chapter helps you review grammar topics like the eight parts of speech, verb tense and subject-verb agreement, the meaning of antecedents and misplaced and dangling modifiers. You'll also study independent and dependent clauses and predicates. By the end of the chapter, you should be able to complete these objectives:
- Identify the subject of a sentence
- Differentiate between direct and indirect objects in sentence structure
- Define an idiom and explain its use
- Give examples of gerunds and phrases including them
- Tell the difference between an infinitive phrase and a participle phrase
- Explain what comparative form is
- Discuss comma splices, run-on sentences and sentence fragments
- Outline capitalization rules in writing
Each of these lessons uses clear and direct instruction to cover essential topics in ten minutes or less. Use the timeline tags to quickly skip to the areas you want to cover. Test what you've studied with our self-assessment quizzes that include questions on key lesson topics.
1. What Are the 8 Parts of Speech? - Definition & Examples
If you can't tell the difference between a noun and a hole in the ground, that's because there isn't one! Come learn more about these and the seven other parts of speech and their functions in this lesson.
2. Verb Tense & Subject-Verb Agreement
Learn all about verb tense and subject-verb agreement in our first lesson on this tricky topic. We'll look at examples to help you understand this concept.
3. What is an Antecedent? - Definition, Meaning & Examples
If you have a pronoun in a sentence, you'll also need to have an antecedent. In this lesson, find out what an antecedent is as well as some of the basic rules for avoiding vague pronoun references and for making sure that you have pronoun-antecedent agreement.
4. What Are Misplaced Modifiers and Dangling Modifiers?
I have this recurring nightmare where all my modifiers are misplaced or dangling and everybody's laughing at me. Don't let this happen to you! Learn why modifiers are important and why putting them in the right place is even more so.
5. Independent & Dependent Clauses: Subordination & Coordination
This lesson is about independent and dependent clauses, and how they make up a sentence. Dependent clauses, like the name suggests, rely on other elements in a sentence. Independent clauses, on the other hand, can stand alone. Learn more in this lesson.
6. What are Predicates? - Definition and Examples
A predicate is a necessary component of each sentence, so it's important to know what one is and how to identify one. This lesson goes over the basics of predicates as well as how knowing about them can help answer other grammatical questions.
7. How to Identify the Subject of a Sentence
Don't pass over this lesson! You may think you know how to find subjects and verbs in a sentence, but picking them out can be harder than you think. Identifying subjects and verbs is the first step to unlocking nearly everything else about English composition.
8. The Difference Between Direct & Indirect Objects in Sentence Structure
Mixing up direct and indirect objects could drastically affect sentence structure. Watch this video lesson to finally learn how to differentiate between direct and indirect objects and also how to use each correctly.
9. What is an Idiom? - Definition & Examples
Break a leg! It takes two to tango. In this lesson, we'll learn all about idioms, those colorful figures of speech that play with language and take on a meaning of their own.
10. Gerund: Phrases & Examples
What is a gerund? What is a gerund phrase? How do I use them in my writing? Watch this lesson to find out how to use this useful and versatile part of speech in your writing.
11. What is an Infinitive Phrase? - Definition & Examples
A verb is a word typically used to express action or being, but sometimes, verbs are used for other purposes in a sentence. In this video, we'll discuss infinitives, a type of verb that can act as an adjective, an adverb or a noun.
12. What is a Participle Phrase? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what a participle phrase is, examine some examples of sentences containing participle phrases, and explore correct punctuation and usage when incorporating participle phrases in writing.
13. Comparative Form: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what the comparative form is and how to use the comparative form to make your writing more interesting. Take a look at some examples, and then test your knowledge with a quiz.
14. Sentence Fragments, Comma Splices and Run-on Sentences
Sentence fragments, comma splices, and run-on sentences are grammatical and stylistic bugs that can seriously derail an otherwise polished academic paper. Learn how to identify and eliminate these errors in your own writing here.
15. Capitalization Rules in Writing
Capitalization is a very important concept in standard grammar in the written form of the English language. Watch this video lesson to learn what capitalization is and when to use it.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HESI Admission Assessment (A2) Exam course
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Reading Comprehension
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Health Care Vocabulary
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Punctuation
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Math Skills
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Factors & Multiples
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Solving Equations
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Linear Equations, Inequalities & Functions
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Geometry Basics
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: 3D Shapes
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Probability, Ratios & Proportions
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Anatomy and Physiology
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Biology
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Chemistry
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Physics
- HESI Admission Assessment Flashcards