About This Chapter
HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Linear Equations, Inequalities & Functions - Chapter Summary
This chapter on inequalities, linear equations and functions is designed to help you perform well on the HESI Admission Assessment exam. Watch videos about linear equations and how they're written. You'll also practice solving linear equations. Once you finish these lessons, you should be able to complete these objectives:
- Solve and graph a linear inequality
- Answer problems involving linear inequalities
- Define a system of equations
- Give examples of systems of linear equations
- Explain how to solve systems of linear equations by graphing
- Write and graph linear functions
- Use graphing to solve a quadratic equation
- Graph the inverse function
Because these lessons are self-paced, you can go back and review them as many times as needed. If you're struggling with any of the subject matter, reach out to one of our experts through the Dashboard. Before test day, answering the multiple-choice questions on the lesson quizzes and chapter test can help you see how you might do.
1. What is a Linear Equation?
Most cars won't be able to run for more than 250,000 miles, so how much longer will your car live? Linear Equations are the most basic kind of algebraic function and can help you answer questions exactly like this. Learn about what they look like, how they come up in your life and why they are powerful tools.
2. How to Write a Linear Equation
Simply knowing how to take a linear equation and graph it is only half of the battle. You should also be able to come up with the equation if you're given the right information.
3. Solving Linear Equations: Practice Problems
With practice, linear equations can be straightforward to solve. In this lesson, we'll define linear equations and learn how to solve them. We'll look at multiple practice problems and walk through solving each one.
4. Linear Inequality: Solving, Graphing & Problems
If you can solve linear equations, you can solve linear inequalities. In this lesson, you will learn how similar the solving processes are. You will also learn the notations you need to use when graphing linear inequalities.
5. Solving Linear Inequalities: Practice Problems
Linear inequalities may look intimidating, but they're really not much different than linear equations. In this lesson, we'll practice solving a variety of linear inequalities.
6. What is a System of Equations?
So what happens if we want to compare more than one equation? Welcome to a 'system' of equations! Learn what one is, how to solve them and when they come up in real life.
7. System of Linear Equations: Definition & Examples
A system of linear equations can come in handy when we come across problems where we have more than one quantity to find. In this lesson, we'll learn how to define a system of linear equations and look at examples.
8. How to Solve Systems of Linear Equations by Graphing
Systems of linear equations are important in many branches of math and science, so knowing how to solve them is important. In this lesson, learn one way to find the solution of a system of linear equations by graphing.
9. Writing & Graphing Linear Functions
We can show the relationship between two variables using a table, a graph or an equation. In this lesson, you will learn how to write and graph linear functions.
10. How to Solve a Quadratic Equation by Graphing
This lesson will show us how to solve a quadratic equation by graphing. Through definitions, illustrations, and applications, we will learn the steps involved in this process.
11. Understanding and Graphing the Inverse Function
If you use a function to map a to b, is there a way to go back from b to a again? Learn how to find and graph inverse functions so that you can turn a into b and back into a.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HESI Admission Assessment (A2) Exam course
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Reading Comprehension
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Health Care Vocabulary
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Punctuation
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Grammar
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Math Skills
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Factors & Multiples
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Solving Equations
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Geometry Basics
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: 3D Shapes
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Probability, Ratios & Proportions
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Anatomy and Physiology
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Biology
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Chemistry
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Physics
- HESI Admission Assessment Flashcards