About This Chapter
HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Punctuation - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, we've put together a series of lessons about punctuation to assist you in your studies for the HESI Admission Assessment exam. Just a few of the topics covered include basic comma rules, the meaning of the exclamation mark and examples of proper apostrophe use. This chapter is designed to help you achieve these goals:
- Detail the correct usage of commas
- Avoid confusion by using commas in clauses and contrasting sentence parts
- Use semicolons, period and colons accurately
- Detail the proper use of the exclamation mark
- Define the question mark and its use
- Understand how to correctly use an apostrophe
- Utilize brackets, ellipses, quotation marks and hyphens correctly
Review these lessons as many times as needed at your own pace to ensure you're ready to take your exam. To make sure you're ready for test day, answer the questions on the lesson quizzes and comprehensive chapter test. Help from one of our experts is offered through the Dashboard if any questions arise as you complete the lessons.
1. Commas: Correct Usage & Basic Rules
Think that you know commas? You may be surprised. Even the most experienced writers have problems remembering all the rules. Learn the basics of comma usage in this first of two lessons on the comma.
2. Comma Usage: Avoid Confusion in Clauses & Contrasting Sentence Parts
Learn more about comma usage from the pros! There are just too many ways to use the comma (it's a basic punctuation mark, after all) to fit in one sentence. Watch here to learn about some of the more common traps students fall into when trying to put commas in the right place.
3. Punctuation: Using Colons, Semicolons & Periods
Periods, colons, and semicolons all have the ability to stop a sentence in its tracks, but for very different purposes. In this lesson, learn how and why we use them in our writing.
4. Exclamation Mark: Use & Meaning
The exclamation mark (!), also called the exclamation point, is a form of punctuation that is sometimes used at the end of a single word, phrase or complete sentence. Its goal is to express an extremely strong and intense statement.
5. Question Mark: Definition & Use
A question mark (?) is a form of punctuation placed at the end of a sentence. Its main purpose is to specify a query or question. In this lesson, we will take a look at when you should and should not use a question mark in your writing.
6. Apostrophe: Use & Examples
In this lesson, we will learn about the apostrophe and how it's useful to us. See a few examples of common apostrophe mistakes and learn how to correct them.
7. Using Hyphens, Brackets, Ellipses & Quotation Marks
Writing not only consists of letters and words but many forms of punctuation. Watch this video lesson to learn about four types of punctuation: hyphens, brackets, ellipses, and quotation marks.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HESI Admission Assessment (A2) Exam course
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Reading Comprehension
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Health Care Vocabulary
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Grammar
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Math Skills
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Factors & Multiples
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Solving Equations
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Linear Equations, Inequalities & Functions
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Geometry Basics
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: 3D Shapes
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Probability, Ratios & Proportions
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Anatomy and Physiology
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Biology
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Chemistry
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Physics
- HESI Admission Assessment Flashcards