About This Chapter
HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Solving Equations - Chapter Summary
Check out this chapter on solving equations to prepare for the HESI Admission Assessment exam. You'll watch short videos about solving absolute value equations and word problems. After completing this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Solve algebraic equations and absolute value equations
- Define an arithmetic sequences
- Use addition, subtraction, division and multiplication to solve inequalities
- Provide examples of absolute-value inequalities
- Follow steps to solve word problems
These lessons ensure your study experience is easy and convenient. The quizzes and chapter test are a handy way to see if you're ready to take the exam and identify any areas that need more work. Help from one of our experts is available via the Dashboard if you have questions.
1. Solving Algebraic Equations: Definition & Examples
If you shouted, ''Hey! Why are there letters in my math?'' the first time you saw algebra, then you definitely want to check out this lesson where we'll learn why we use letters for mathematics. (Hint: it isn't to drive you crazy.)
2. How to Solve an Absolute Value Equation
Absolute value equations always yield two different solutions because an absolute value operator is used on the terms of the equation. Explore absolute value equations and discover how to solve equations with absolute values.
3. Arithmetic Sequence: Formula & Definition
An arithmetic sequence is a list of numbers and can start at any number. Explore the definition of an arithmetic sequence, its general formula, and the nomenclature and how to find it, and also learn how to write the terms and rules within an arithmetic sequence.
4. Solving Inequalities Using Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication & Division
Solving inequalities is almost identical to solving equations. By using the inverse operation for the inequality, variables are quickly isolated to find solutions.
5. The Absolute-Value Inequality: Definition & Example
Absolute value inequalities are types of problems that may seem complicated from the outset but are relatively simple to solve with the right understanding. Take a closer look at the definitions of the absolute value and the absolute value inequality, followed by an example of how to set up and solve these types of problems.
6. Solving Word Problems: Steps & Examples
Solving word problems in math may require following a process that makes it easier to solve. Learn the steps used in solving word problems which include visualizing the problem, writing the equation, and solving the equation with examples of how it's done.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HESI Admission Assessment (A2) Exam course
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Reading Comprehension
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Health Care Vocabulary
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Punctuation
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Grammar
- Rules of Sentence Structure
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Math Skills
- Fractions, Decimals and Percentages
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Factors & Multiples
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Linear Equations, Inequalities & Functions
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Geometry Basics
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: 3D Shapes
- Everyday Math Skills
- Cells and Tissues
- Skeletal System Function and Parts
- Muscular System Anatomy and Movement
- Integumentary System Function and Structure
- Nervous System Function and Parts
- Reproductive System Functions and Anatomy
- Respiratory System Function and Anatomy
- Cardiovascular System Function and Parts
- Endocrine System Function and Impact
- Digestive System Function and Parts
- Renal System Function and Anatomy
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Biology
- Cell Types and Functions
- Cell Division Steps
- The Photosynthesis Process
- HESI Admission Assessment Exam: Chemistry
- HESI Admission Assessment Flashcards