About This Chapter
Hierarchical Classification of Living Things - Chapter Summary
Lessons in this chapter can help you understand how living things are classified. You'll focus on taxonomy and the different kingdom classifications. Specific concepts you will learn about in this chapter include the following:
- The common naming system in science
- Characteristics of animals
- Facts about the Plantae kingdom
- How fungi absorb nutrition and their role as ecological decomposers
- Requirements for inclusion in the Protista kingdom
- Major groups of bacteria
You can view as many or as few of the lessons as you choose. If you are already familiar with some lesson topics, for video lessons you can use the timeline tags to jump straight to the areas you want to cover. You can also browse the bold terms in the text lessons and video transcripts for a quick refresher. When you are done each lesson, take the self-assessment quizzes to make sure you have retained all of the material.
1. Taxonomy: Classification and Naming of Living Things
The name you give to a living thing may be completely different than the name someone else uses. In science, we use a common naming system for all living things to avoid confusion. This lesson will explore the basics of our classification system.
2. Animalia Kingdom: Definition, Characteristics & Facts
With over one million different species, the Animalia Kingdom is considered the largest kingdom. Its organisms also inhabit the most diverse habitats on Earth. This lesson will examine what characteristics animals possess and then will list some awesome animal facts.
3. Kingdom Plantae: Facts, Characteristics & Examples
Chances are, you can thank a plant for your clothes, your food, and even your house. This lesson will explore the kingdom plantae including characteristics plants share as well as some facts and examples of organisms within this kingdom.
4. Kingdom Fungi: Definition, Characteristics, & Examples
The kingdom Fungi includes a diverse group of organisms that are neither plant nor animal. They absorb nutrition from other organisms while playing the important role of ecological decomposers. Learn more about this group and take a short quiz at the end.
5. Kingdom Protista: Definition, Characteristics & Examples
Learn about the requirements to enter Kingdom Protista, one of the five kingdoms of life. Discover and read about the organisms that can be found there.
6. Kingdom Bacteria: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about Eubacteria. You will learn some of the major characteristics as well as some examples of this major group of bacteria.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Middle Grades Science (014): Practice & Study Guide course
- Scientific Inquiry & Design
- Nature of Scientific Knowledge
- Major Developments & Historical Figures in Science
- Collecting & Analyzing Scientific Data
- Science Laboratory & Field Equipment Safety
- Environmental Effects of Science & Technology
- Energy Production & Natural Resource Management
- Science & Technology in Consumer Products
- The Atomic Model, Energy & Matter
- Concepts & Relationships Between Energy & Matter
- Basics of the Periodic Table
- Chemical Compounds & Reactions
- Acid-Base Chemistry
- Solutions & Solubility
- Basic Concepts of Mechanics
- Electricity & Magnetism Concepts
- Waves & Optics
- Structure & Function of Cells & Organelles
- Basic Biochemistry of Life
- Basic Genetics
- Evolution, Natural Selection & Biological Diversity
- Plant Structures & Function
- Animal & Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Population Dynamics & Ecology
- Intro to Rocks, Minerals & Soil
- Earth's Structure & Internal Processes
- Effects of Plate Tectonics
- Historical Geology
- Water Cycle
- Earth's Oceans & Landforms
- Freshwater Characteristics & Processes
- Atmosphere & Weather
- Climate & Seasons
- Exploring Features of the Solar System
- Earth-Moon-Sun System
- GACE Middle Grades Science Flashcards