About This Chapter
High School Algebra: Algebraic Distribution - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Whether you'd like some clarification on the rules for distributing variables, some help with fractional exponents, or a refresher on how to distribute terms with a negative sign, this chapter's instructors can walk you through the steps involved in solving each type of problem. By the end of the lessons, you should be able to do the following:
- Use distribution to solve equations with positive and negative integers
- Work with fractional and negative exponents
- Distribute a term over polynomials
|Why Do We Distribute in Algebra? - Explanation & Examples||Define distribution and discuss its purpose in algebra.|
|Distributing First Vs. Adding First: Differences & Examples||Describe the difference between distributing first or adding first to solve an equation. Find out when each method is more appropriate.|
|Distributing Positive and Negative Signs||Explain methods for distributing positive and negative signs.|
|Distributing Algebraic Expressions with Numbers and Variables||Discuss how the rules of multiplication and rules of exponents apply when solving algebraic expressions with both numbers and variables.|
|Changing Negative Exponents to Fractions||Illustrate the steps involved in changing negative exponents to fractions.|
|Working With Fractional Powers||Explain how to add exponents together when multiplying fractions with the same denominator.|
|Distribution of More Than One Term in Algebra||Outline steps for distributing a binomial over a polynomial with two terms and a polynomial with three or more terms.|
1. Why Do We Distribute in Algebra? - Explanation & Examples
What's the purpose of distribution in algebra? In this lesson, we'll find out why we distribute. We'll also look at examples and sample problems that involve basic distribution.
2. Distributing First vs. Adding First: Differences & Examples
When we need to simplify an expression, how do we know if we should distribute first or add first? In this lesson, we'll look at when this matters and how to make the best decision.
3. Distributing Positive and Negative Signs
It's not just numbers and variables that get distributed. Positive and negative signs can, too. In this lesson, we'll learn how to distribute positive and negative signs correctly.
4. Distributing Algebraic Expressions with Numbers and Variables
So, you can simplify an algebraic expression when you need to distribute a number? Great! But what if you need to distribute a variable or a variable with an exponent? Learn how in this lesson.
5. Changing Negative Exponents to Fractions
A negative exponent isn't like a normal exponent. In this lesson, we'll learn about negative exponents and how they lead us to fractions. We'll practice with numbers and variables.
6. Working With Fractional Powers
If you know what to do with 3 to the second power, then you understand exponents. But what if the exponent is a fraction? Find out what to do with fractional powers in this lesson.
7. Distribution of More Than One Term in Algebra
Once we've mastered distributing a single term, it's time to raise the stakes. In this lesson, we'll learn how about distribution involving two, three and even more terms.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Algebra I: High School course
- High School Algebra: Solving Math Word Problems
- High School Algebra: Percent Notation
- High School Algebra: Calculations, Ratios, Percent & Proportions
- High School Algebra: Real Numbers
- High School Algebra: Exponents and Exponential Expressions
- High School Algebra: Properties of Exponents
- High School Algebra: Radical Expressions
- High School Algebra: Algebraic Expressions and Equations
- High School Algebra: Properties of Functions
- High School Algebra: Working With Inequalities
- High School Algebra: Linear Equations
- High School Algebra: Factoring
- High School Algebra: Quadratic Equations
- High School Algebra: Graphing and Factoring Quadratic Equations
- High School Algebra: Properties of Polynomial Functions
- High School Algebra: Rational Expressions
- High School Algebra: Matrices and Absolute Value
- High School Algebra: Data, Statistics, and Probability
- Teacher Resources for High School Algebra