About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your algebraic expressions and equations homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample problems and get instant feedback.
- Finish your algebraic expressions and equations homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- Evaluating math formulas and simple algebraic expressions
- Learning to express relationships as algebraic expressions
- Simplifying algebraic expressions
- Writing equations with inequalities
- Identifying common algebraic equations
- Solving one-step equations
- Collecting like terms on one side of an equation
- Solving equations that contain parentheses
- Solving equations with infinite or no solutions
- Translating words into algebraic expressions
- Solving equations with multiple steps
1. What is the Correct Setup to Solve Math Problems?: Writing Arithmetic Expressions
When it comes to solving math word problems, there is a correct way of setting up the problem and labeling the various parts of the problem so that you can solve the problem easily. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can do it.
2. Understanding and Evaluating Math Formulas
With all the formulas out there, how do you know which one to pick? And how do you read formulas anyways? Watch this video lesson and you will find the answers to these questions.
3. Expressing Relationships as Algebraic Expressions
What do you do when you don't know what a number is but you do know how it relates to something else? You use an algebraic expression. In this lesson, we'll learn how to express relationships as algebraic expressions.
4. Evaluating Simple Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll learn how to evaluate algebraic expressions, which involves substituting numbers for variables and following the order of operations. By the end of the lesson, you'll be an algebraic expression expert.
5. Combining Like Terms in Algebraic Expressions
When you have an algebraic expression that's much too long, it would be great if you could simplify it. That's when knowing how to combine like terms comes in. In this lesson, we'll learn the process of combining like terms and practice simplifying expressions.
6. Practice Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll practice simplifying a variety of algebraic expressions. We'll use two key concepts, combining like terms and the distributive property, to help us simplify.
7. Negative Signs and Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
Don't let negative signs get you down. In this lesson, we'll stay positive as we practice simplifying algebraic expressions that have those tricky negative signs.
8. Writing Equations with Inequalities: Open Sentences and True/False Statements
After watching this video lesson you will be able to write open sentences and true or false statements that use inequalities. You will also be able to solve and/or determine whether a particular inequality is true or false.
9. Common Algebraic Equations: Linear, Quadratic, Polynomial, and More
Watch this video lesson to see the kinds of equations that you will come across most often in algebra. Learn to distinguish them by just looking for the identifying components of each equation.
10. Defining, Translating, & Solving One-Step Equations
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can write a simple math equation when you are given a word problem. Learn how to translate words into math symbols. Learn the shortcuts to remember.
11. Solving Equations Using the Addition Principle
In algebra, we have certain principles that we use to help us solve equations quickly and easily. The addition principle is one of them. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can apply it to solve your equations.
12. Solving Equations Using the Multiplication Principle
When it comes to solving equations in algebra, one of the essential skills you need is the ability to multiply. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use the multiplication principle to isolate your variable.
13. Solving Equations Using Both Addition and Multiplication Principles
Most times in algebra, to solve for your variable, you will need to perform more than one operation to get your answer. Watch this video lesson to learn the proper steps to take to solve these equations.
14. Collecting Like Terms On One Side of an Equation
When you are using algebra to solve your problems, one of your biggest and most often used methods is that of collecting like terms. Watch this video lesson to see how it is done.
15. Solving Equations Containing Parentheses
When we have parentheses in our equations it changes the way we solve them. Now we have an added step to do to remove those parentheses. Watch this video lesson to learn how it is done.
16. Solving Equations with Infinite Solutions or No Solutions
In algebra, there are two scenarios that give us interesting results. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can distinguish problems that have no answers and problems that have an infinite number of answers.
17. Translating Words to Algebraic Expressions
When it comes to word problems, the easiest way to solve them is to look for keywords and change them into math symbols. Watch this video lesson to find out what keywords you should look for and what math symbols they represent.
18. How to Solve One-Step Algebra Equations in Word Problems
Word problems may be considered the most evil math invention ever, but never fear! Just watch this video lesson and you will know how to methodically translate these word problems into simple math and then to solve it.
19. How to Solve Equations with Multiple Steps
In algebra, when you want to solve an equation for a particular variable, you will need to perform multiple steps that include adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing. Watch this video lesson to learn the order you need to do these steps.
20. How to Solve Multi-Step Algebra Equations in Word Problems
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve word problems like a pro. Learn how to setup your problem, write your equations and then solve your equations to find your answer.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Algebra I: Homework Help Resource course
- High School Algebra - Basic Arithmetic: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Solving Math Word Problems: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Decimals and Fractions: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Percent Notation: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Real Numbers: Homework Help
- High School Algebra Homework Help: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- High School Algebra - Radical Expressions: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Properties of Functions: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Matrices and Absolute Value: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Working With Inequalities: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Properties of Exponents: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Complex and Imaginary Numbers: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Algebraic Distribution: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Linear Equations: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Factoring: Homework Help
- High School Algebra Homework Help: Graph & Factor Quadratic Equations
- High School Algebra Homework Help: Polynomial Functions & Their Properties
- High School Algebra - Rational Expressions: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Cubic Equations: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Quadratic Equations: Homework Help
- High School Algebra - Measurement and Geometry: Homework Help
- High School Algebra Homework Help: Percent, Proportions & Ratios
- High School Algebra Homework Help: Probability, Data & Statistics
- High School Algebra - Well-Known Equations: Homework Help