About This Chapter
Calculations, Ratios & Proportions Review - Chapter Summary
High school students need to read and understand a great deal of information both before they graduate and as they move on in college or the professional world. This chapter provides students with focused training to review calculations, ratios and proportions.
Instead of an endless chapter of information, the chapter has been divided into short, individualized lessons. Students have the option to review all of the lessons in order, but they can also pick and choose lesson topics in which they need the most assistance. The chapter menu provides a list of all lessons available, and since each lesson is only focused on a single topic, students can easily find what they need. After completing this chapter, students will be ready to:
- Define and give examples of ratios, rates and proportions
- Solve problems that involve money
- Create proportions and ratios to solve a problem
- Perform calculations with ratios and proportions
- Define and understand percentages
- Solve word problems that include percentages
- Calculate distance using rates
- Solve problems that involve time
1. Ratios & Rates: Definitions & Examples
If we have two items, or two numbers, and we want to compare them, what language can we use? How do we write the comparison? Find out as we learn about ratios and rates in this lesson.
2. How to Solve Problems with Money
Money matters, and knowing how much things cost will be useful no matter where you go. In this lesson, we'll learn the steps for solving word problems involving money.
3. Proportion: Definition, Application & Examples
When we want to compare one ratio, or fraction, to another equivalent ratio, it's a proportion. Learn all about proportions and practice solving proportion problems in this lesson.
4. Calculations with Ratios and Proportions
Even if only 99 out of 100 people need to know how to work with ratios, the odds that they'll be useful to you are very high. In this lesson, we'll practice performing calculations with ratios and proportions.
5. Percents: Definition, Application & Examples
Maybe you know that 95% is an A and 75% is a C. But what do those percents really mean? In this lesson, we'll learn about percents, including how to convert them to fractions and decimals.
6. How to Solve Word Problems That Use Percents
100 percent of percent problems can be solved if we follow the correct steps. In this lesson, we'll practice solving a variety of different percent problems.
7. Distance Formulas: Calculations & Examples
Let's go on a road trip! In this lesson, we'll practice calculations involving distance, rate and time. We'll also look at how we determine the relationship between distance and fuel.
8. How to Solve Problems with Time
It's amazing how much time can be saved when people work together. In this lesson, we'll practice figuring out just how much time we're talking about as we solve problems involving time.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Algebra I: Homeschool Curriculum course
- High School Algebra: Overview of Real Numbers
- High School Algebra: Solving Math Word Problems
- High School Algebra: Percent Notation
- High School Algebra: Combinations & Permutations
- High School Algebra: Properties of Exponents Review
- High School Algebra: Exponent Properties & Exponential Expressions
- High School Algebra: Square Roots Review
- High School Algebra: Radical Expressions Overview
- High School Algebra: Algebraic Expressions Review
- High School Algebra: Solving Algebraic Equations
- High School Algebra: Algebraic Distribution
- High School Algebra: Properties of Functions
- High School Algebra: Inequalities Review
- High School Algebra: Linear Equations Review
- High School Algebra: Linear Equations Applications & Examples
- High School Algebra: Factoring
- High School Algebra: Quadratic Equations
- High School Algebra: Graphing and Factoring Quadratic Equations
- High School Algebra: Properties of Polynomial Functions
- High School Algebra: Rational Expressions
- High School Algebra: Matrices and Absolute Value
- High School Algebra: Data, Statistics & Chance
- Algebra I: Homeschool Assignments & Projects
- Homeschool Resources for High School Algebra